Mystery shim identification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery shim identification?

A bunch of these shims were included with a recent purchase.
    29mm diameter and 3 different thicknesses with markings indicating 2650, 2675 and 2700.
    Any ideas? Never seen any shims with holes in them either.
    Kawasaki perhaps? I know they are 29mm instead of the Suzuki 29.5mm.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Odd ball size shims come from the factory. They were done by hand back then and were perfect when they left the factory hence the odd sizes. Not sure about the hole though. Aid for install?
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Yes, Kawasaki and some Yamaha had 29.0mm shims. The thickness is not all that unusual, just think of them as 2.65, 2.65x and 2.70 shims. Have never seen a hole drilled in a shim before. Might be to relieve suction when removing one, but I have never had THAT much trouble doing so.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input, Gents.
        I don't have an immediate need for these but would the slightly smaller diameter be a problem if i used them on my GS?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Huge problem, do not use these in a GS.
          1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
          1970 Honda C70

Comment

Suppose I said, Hell yeah, no problem. I put one in and the bike revved straight out to the redline. I put a bit of Moly paste in there just to glue it down a bit. Been four years back. Bikes done a hundred miles or more since.
            Feel any safer?

Back in the day this was a hot topic. Mechanics at local dealer were even putting it about that it was fine. That probably means there was a lot of it going on.
            You'll always hear people letting the world know how smart they are but you never hear about their screw ups.
            Recently the shop was being wound down and the old boy was selling off NOS. I went looking and he offered me Yam shims for the GS. I took them ,never know what bike will cross my path up the road.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              ... would the slightly smaller diameter be a problem if i used them on my GS?
              I can't guarantee they won't work, but I wouldn't advise using them.

They are only half a millimeter smaller, but when they start moving around at up to 75 times per second (at 9000 RPM), ... well, let's just say that things could get "interesting".

I have two boxes of shims. One is 29.5mm for my GSes, the other is 29.0mm for my previous Kawasakis. I am hanging on to the Kaw shims because, as Brendan says, you never know what's going to be coming into the shop.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

1/2 mm smaller than 29.5 will allow them to 'kick up' as the lobe rolls on and off. I wouldnt advise using them where a 29.5 is required.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Excellent advice, fellas.
                  Now i will have to start looking for a Kawi project to go with the shims. haha.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    1/2 mm smaller than 29.5 will allow them to 'kick up' as the lobe rolls on and off. I wouldnt advise using them where a 29.5 is required.
                    Totally agree, i would not risk using them, the consequences will be expensive!
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I found three Kawasaki shims in the last GS850 I worked on.

They were quite loose, and there was little to no oil surface tension holding them in place as you see with the correct shims.

AFAIK, the engine was run for some unknown number of miles with these in place.

But it's just a stupid, stupid, stupid idea. The risk/benefit just isn't there. Sometimes a shortcut makes sense. This is not one of those times.

Unless the volcano is rumbling and it's your only ride outta town, I just don't see the point of installing the incorrect shims, and the potential downside is huge.

Anyway, I have no idea what those holes could be for.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi, I have just beeen reading an article by Pip Higham regarding tuning the gs1000 in its heyday he talks of the master move by suzuki to have pops yoshi onboard for racing development and some of the stuff that followed, pip was campaigning a gs750 then the gs1000 stating that due to pops development they were runnning shim under bucket and the Shims were lightened via a drill hole I was thinking you may have come across a piece of history in a way.
                        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                          Hi, I have just beeen reading an article by Pip Higham regarding tuning the gs1000 in its heyday he talks of the master move by suzuki to have pops yoshi onboard for racing development and some of the stuff that followed, pip was campaigning a gs750 then the gs1000 stating that due to pops development they were runnning shim under bucket and the Shims were lightened via a drill hole I was thinking you may have come across a piece of history in a way.
                          I'm pretty sure the shim under bucket shims were a lot smaller diameter. Not 100% sure about Pops shims but all the production stuff was pretty small as it only had to be large enough to cover the top of the valve stem.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                            Pops came on board after running Kawasaki Z1's - and a prototype big bore Z650. He brought the shim-under setup from the Z650 - which pretty much swaps straight into the GS heads. Those shims are 12 or 13mm OD from memory - can't be bothered going out and measuring one. Too small for any lightening holes when on top of a 7 or 8 mm valve stem. But a lot of the early Yosh race buckets had lightening holes down the sides. Pip may be getting mixed up - or misquoted.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                              Pip may be getting mixed up - or misquoted.
                              No Pip was neither when I read that he said the buckets where lightened I put two and two together to make five thinking the shims had been lightened my fault not his.
                              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                              past bikes. RF900
                              TL1000s
                              Hayabusa
                              gsx 750f x2
                              197cc Francis Barnett
                              various British nails

Comment

Working...
                              X