Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those drilled shims should go straight onto a keyring
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Maybe a machinist can chime it, but wouldn't those holes have had to be drilled before the shims are hardened? From what my experience the shims are brittle like glass and I would think it would take a lot to drill them, but I have never tried.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
        Maybe a machinist can chime it, but wouldn't those holes have had to be drilled before the shims are hardened? From what my experience the shims are brittle like glass and I would think it would take a lot to drill them, but I have never tried.
        Not necessarily, a EDM (Electrical Discharge Machine) could make a hole in the hardest of steel. It uses a graphite electrode to "burn" a hole through it. The EDM is a very popular machine in the extrusion die business.
        Also the EDM machines go back to the 60's. So Pops could have very well used it��
        Last edited by storm 64; 11-28-2018, 09:23 PM.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Not necessarily, a EDM (Electrical Discharge Machine) could make a hole in the hardest of steel. It uses a graphite electrode to "burn" a hole through it. The EDM is a very popular machine in the extrusion die business.
          Also the EDM machines go back to the 60's. So Pops could have very well used it��
          Yeah, an EDM will do it - but a carbide drill would probably also do it. Guy here was using carbide drills to put holes in bearing races for locating pins.
          I've used carbide tips to machine hardened shafts too. Late 5 speed box into an early 4 speed Aermacchi (HD Sprint) needs the layshaft ends machined to suit the 4 sp bearing sizes...
          Lightening the buckets is a bit trickier. They are hardened right through and the skirts (sides) are brittle. To do them I'd think you'd either get them unhardened from Suzuki (or their supplier) or soften, drill and reharden.
          Wouldn't surprise me if Pops got the idea from Jaguar race stuff. The yanks were drilling holes in everything in a Jag engine in the '60's - but those buckets are chilled cast iron so a bit nicer to work with....

Comment

Working...
          X