GS850 smoking from 3 - 4 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 smoking from 3 - 4 cylinder

hello, we are lightly restoring gs850g, after cleanup, carb reassembly and other few things the bike start smoking from connection pipe under engine.. but is start smoke only after warmup, its not smoking immediately after startup, only when it runs for a while.. you can check the video.

compression is ok, on both cylinders is around 100, which is limit, but I have only cheap meter.. If I drop oil directly into cylinder the compression is aroud 120.. so i guess maybe valve stems? or seals..? but bike is running great and Iam not sure if smokes before i pulled carbs out or not.. but we didnot touch the engine, just polished few head bolts( I will tighten them corectly tommorrow.

should it be head gasket..?

please chech the video
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the bike doesnt sound that bad, thats my microphone on my cheap phone

Not the head gasket
    It would appear that the bike is missing the gasket on the connection pipes, as nothing should come out there
    Did this bike sit unused for a time?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

yes, the gasket is probably bad. but there should not be smoke from exhaust.. I dont know where the smoke goes.. that is the question

Comment

are the spark plugs wet w/oil on #3 and #4 ?

Comment

This can be fixed

Seeing a puff of smoke like this from my GS850GL was what helped me to finally chase down the noise I had --
          I had a ticking sound I COULD NOT find --
          Then one day my Son got on and when he started it -- PUFF -- same thing --
          Once I figured out it was an exhaust leak my life got way better --
          The gaskets connecting the header pipe to the exhaust box are likely bad (or missing)
          New gaskets are available and once they are changed out the bike will sound better and no smoke.
          It's a bit of a pain in the arse to do - but not difficult -
          Take some time to clean and polish everything you take off before putting it back on ... my 2¢

ps: Mine was on the #2 pipe but all four got new gaskets

Last edited by Wingsconsin; 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

Working...
          X