Cylinder head pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head pins

I have torn down my gs850g. After doing so there are pins, part#04211-13189, that go in the corner of the base that receives the cylinder. The schematic for the cylinder head states there are 2 pins. Do they go in the front of the motor or the rear or are there supposed to be four, one for each corner???? Can anyone tell me??
    Thanks, I appreciate any help.

looks like there's only two and go in the front, but the holes in the base gasket will tell you for sure.

Shop online for OEM Cylinder parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-964-1882

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'll see how that fits. I appreciate your help.

Comment

The parts list specifies two, and that's what I remember. The holes in the cylinders and head should make it clear where they go, as well as the gasket, as Bob pointed out. They will be on the front corners, as the rear corners are busy being oil passages.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have another question. I've got the bike all back together and when I went to start it the starter spun freely and did not engage the engine. I took the stator cover off and the starter engages all the gears but doesn't turn the engine over. I can rotate the engine by hand so I know that's clear. The schematics don't show any pins or keys on the crankshaft. What did I miss???

Comment

Any chance you had the starter clutch off?

There are three spring-loaded rollers inside it that would be easy to lose.

There are also three countersunk screws that attach the starter clutch to the back of the rotor.
            Need to make sure they are snug.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have checked the rear of the rotor, all three springs and rollers are in place. My problem is when I try to start the engine the starter and gears activated by the starter spin freely. The engine does not rotate. There are no known pins or keys to hold the years on the crankshaft. What did I miss???

Comment

If you are saying that the starter clutch and the rotor also rotate, but not the crank, try torquing the large bolt on the end of the crank that holds the rotor and starter clutch. There is no key between the crank and rotor, it's just a friction fit on the tapered end of the shaft.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

No, the rotor does not rotate, only the gears spin on the crankshaft behind the rotor,driven by the starter motor.

Comment

The gear behind the rotor, which is driven by the starter, should rotate in one direction (clockwise), but not in the other. If it rotates freely in both directions, the starter clutch is messed up.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I 'll have check the direction, I think it rotate forward. Thanks for your help. I'll check it tomorrow. I checked tonight, as I face the left side of the bike the large gear turns counterclockwise. I can't spin the starter gear by hand it only spins freely when I hit the starter. Just the gears move when trying to start the engine.
                      Last edited by Bob Shaw; 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM. Reason: To add info

Comment

Yep, there is a problem with the interface from the starter clutch to the crank.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok, I'll look at that. Thanks again.I
                          Bob

Comment

Steve,
                            sorry I didn't get back sooner,had some surgery and was out of commission for a while. I had the washer on the outside of the gear instead of inside, the engine side. Once changed the washer position all was well.
                            Thanks for your help again...

Comment

Steve,
                              sorry I didn't get back sooner,had some surgery and was out of commission for a while. I had changed the rotor and forgot to put the rollers discs in. All Is well...
                              Thanks for your help again...

Comment

Working...
                              X