Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The famous rotella oil

Hello all.

I am wondering about using this oil that everyone talks about but the thing is I can’t find it anywhere. Only shell oil I find similar to this is something call Rimulla. Is it the same thing just with another name here in Europe or a completely different oil?? Also I am looking for your input about another oil that has the JASO certification from Castrol it’s called castrol power-1 10w-40
    GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

Can't get Rotella here either and Rimula is not easy to find and expensive and special order.
    I use 15W40 that is for older diesel engines. There is plenty of choice.

That Castrol oil is a fine looking oil but seriously ........................ €12 a litre part synthetic. Have you just won the Lotto?
    I would expect to pay less than half of that for a 15W40 with a good additive package.
    For comparison
    Last edited by Brendan W; 01-27-2019, 07:33 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

So In other words Rimulla does the job I assume. Here it’s very common oil in stores etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kara25 View Post
        So In other words Rimulla does the job I assume. Here it’s very common oil in stores etc.
        As I recall the Rimula was close to Rotella. I also seem to recall that the same oil in different markets had different stated properties.
        We overthink this issue.
        These bikes were designed for 10W40 mineral oil.
        Modern oils tend to have friction modifiers( bad for wet clutch) and less zddp high load carriers.
        You can buy special motorcycle 10W40. IMHO expensive overkill.
        You can buy oil for older engines without the eco friction killers and with a better load carry package.
        These tend to be found in the 15W40 oils.
        As I recall the Rimula, I would use it no problem.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Kara25 View Post
          Hello all.

I am wondering about using this oil that everyone talks about but the thing is I can’t find it anywhere. Only shell oil I find similar to this is something call Rimulla. Is it the same thing just with another name here in Europe or a completely different oil?? Also I am looking for your input about another oil that has the JASO certification from Castrol it’s called castrol power-1 10w-40
          Here's the website for Greek Shell Products, but it's all Greek to me. http://www.petropoulos.com/shell/drivers_ix.htm
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks man but I will maybe go with the Castrol when the time comes.!

Oh and because I couldn’t help it i really like this song from when i first heard it from Jim Carrey singing it in some show 🤣🤣
            From the Western Hills
            To the Northern shores
            To Niagara Falls
            Where the waters roar

Give us a land of peace
            Where the free winds blow
            And we will build Ontario
            A place to stand, a place to grow, a place to grow
            Ontario – o – o-ooooo CANADA ❤️

Comment

Yeah, the Shell Rimula I would have wanted is only available in 205L barrels. Best chance to get some, if you really want to try it, is make friends with some trucking company that has drums of it.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

any thoughts on the t6 rotella? the 5w40 is often a good deal here up north but the other weights are hard to find

Comment

Originally posted by drewpy View Post
                  any thoughts on the t6 rotella? the 5w40 is often a good deal here up north but the other weights are hard to find
                  I use it...
                  No signature

Comment

Originally posted by drewpy View Post
                    That's all I use in all the 2-wheeled conveyances in the stable here.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X