Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4k Engine Rattle

Hello all,

I have a 79 GS550, on which I recently rebuilt the engine (bored cylinders & oversized pistons). Valves clearances were checked and adjusted. Cam chain timing is right.

Problem is I get a rattle at about 4k revs. Initially, it only really did it if you gave it a quick twist in neutral, but last time I rode the bike it did it every time I passed through that rev band. I suspect cam chain, but know next to nothing about engines. I did have check that the tensioner was functioning when I had it apart and it seemed to be working OK.

I had also inadvertently put to much oil in the bike and had to let some out when I got back. When i did I discovered some small metal bits about the size of a grain of salt in the oil. I'm imagining the two are related. Due to my inexperience, I don't know how much to panic. Should I take the engine apart to clean all possible bits of metal out? Should I get hold of another tensioner and change the oil? Could it be something else?

Cheers
    1979 GS550

Maybe something easier... I do not know how bad the rattle is, but on my GSF1200S I get a really bad vibration at 4500 rpm only when my carbs drift out of sync. It really shows up in the mirrors at 4500 rpm. I rebalance the carbs and the vibration disappears.
    Did you balance the carbs after the rebuild?

As for tearing apart the motor, I think I would pull the oil filter and dissect it for metal shavings first.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Did you install the tensioner properly?

Too many times, I have seen tensioners installed improperly. Seems that the 'mechanic' chose to read about every other line in the instructions and skipped one very important step.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input chaps. I'll check the filter. I have balanced the carbs not that long ago, but I have had them off again since, so they could probably do with being balanced again.

I think I install the tensioner correctly. I followed the instructions in the service manual. There is a check you can do to check that is functioning properly that it passed. I'll attach a pic of the instructions I followed:

pjimage.jpg
        1979 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by bill_face View Post
          Thanks for the input chaps. I'll check the filter. I have balanced the carbs not that long ago, but I have had them off again since, so they could probably do with being balanced again.
          Cast Iron Rule - you disturb the carbs, they need balanced. That's it.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A rattle like that can be a loose heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Banging around on the exhaust system with a rubber hammer or a block of wood will usually reveal any loose aspects.

I once met a guy with a 78 750 who had come from Texas to Canada with a rod knock, nursing it along at 4000 rpm and hoping it would make it to Alaska. When he fired it up I put my foot on the exhaust heat shield and the 'rod knock ' went away. A hose clamp and he was off with a grin, making up time...

4500 is a typical frame resonance point....
            '82 GS450T

Comment

As to the metal bits, how well did you clean the bores before reassembling?

My 78 vibrates the horns at about 4k. You need to try to locate the source
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think its just a vibration. I cleaned the bores out well ( in my opinion). A local mechanic did subsequently leave a load of shrapnel in a combustion chamber when drilling out a spark plug, which could explain that...
                1979 GS550

Comment

Working...
                X