Tachometer Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Cable

Not sure which section to post this in, so I'll start here. Are there any tips to keep the tach cable from unscrewing from the head? I've tightened it multiple times but every time I check it, it's loose and theres oil seeping. I'm getting tired of messing with it. This is on my 850 by the way.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Is there still an Oring in there?

Comment

Replace the seal in there - procedures are on either Basscliff's or BWringer's websites. Also get a new cable
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I usually add an o-ring inside the fitting.

Not for sealing, and this isn't the sealing band or the seal. The o-ring just gives the fitting something to "squish" against and keeps it from vibrating loose.

Just rummage through an assortment and find a size that will go inside the fitting on the head and stay without falling out. Then screw in the cable and carefully give the fitting a little extra tweak with pliers and it should stay just fine.

Also, OEM cables seem to work a little better in this respect. The aftermarket crap is not very well made and fits a little loose.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's a new cable and it's aftermarket, so a crap loose fit is probably the issue. I'll try the o-ring method.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I have used aftermarket cables before, with few problems. They do loosen up, unless you have them REAL tight. I use channel-locks to snug them up real tight, but then there is the problem of trying to loosen them when you need to. I just replaced the cable on my son's bike with an OEM cable, we'll see how it goes.

As far as the oil leakage goes, there are two seals involved. One goes around the housing to seal against the head, the other goes inside. It looks a lot like a valve seal, but seals against the cable itself.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've used channel locks the last 3 times but it still loosens. If I grip it any tighter I fear crushing the sleeve. I'll make sure both seals are in place.

Comment

Consider using blue Loctite.
                1980 GS850G (~33,000mi)

Comment

Originally posted by zbodan View Post
                  Consider using blue Loctite.
                  Don't do this. The sleeve is very thin metal (at least it was on both the OEM and MotionPro cables I have) and you probably wont be able to get enough force to break the blue Loctite without first breaking the sleeve. And getting the remainder of the sleeve out of the threaded portion of the tach cable insert is not fun, trust me.
                  1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                  1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                  Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Loctite makes red, blue, and purple thread locker. The red is high strength, blue is the medium. The purple is a low strength, it might be suitable for this application if the blue is too strong.
                    1980 GS850G (~33,000mi)

Comment

Working...
                    X