GSX1100EF 1985 Compression Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100EF 1985 Compression Help!

this morning I decided to do a compression test on my new Gsx 1100 Ef. During the past few days I realized that the performances were not good. To my astonishment I found these values:

cylinder 1: 2.5 Bar
    cylinder 2: 10.5 Bar
    cylinder 3: 11 Bar
    cylinder 4: 10.5 Bar

How is so much difference possible with cylinder 1? I think it's a valve problem what do you say?
    Tomorrow i'll dismount the head and verify..

Yes could well be a valve problem before you remove the head check the valve clearances.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Valve clearance are good on all cylinder. Between 0.7 and 0.12.
      If i remove head i need a new gasket and bolt or only gasket? Do you think it could be a problem with elastic bands?

Comment

Originally posted by akronos View Post
        Valve clearance are good on all cylinder. Between 0.7 and 0.12.
        If i remove head i need a new gasket and bolt or only gasket? Do you think it could be a problem with elastic bands?
        If you remove the head you will need a cylinder base gasket as well as a head gasket as you will break the seal on the base as for bolt and elastic bands not sure what you mean unless its cylinder head bolts and cylinder base orings if that's the case you likely will not need either.
        Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-12-2019, 03:17 AM.
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

I would get the bike going and go for a spirited run for at least an hour, taking it up to maximum revs.

Come back and redo the compression test. Make sure you do it with with the throttle fully open, engine hot and the other plugs out.

You might just find that it has come good.
          Last edited by londonboards; 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM.
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I decided to take everything apart. I'll do some pictures tomorrow. What head and base gasket do you recommend? In Italy I find very few ... only Athena gaskets. What do you think?

Comment

Most people recommend that you only use genuine Suzuki gaskets.

You can always get gaskets from the UK Suzuki guys. They ship worldwide. Best bet is to call them or email:

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/s...00efecylinder1

Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I dismount the engine. :-) Bore and piston are good. Rings perfect. What do you think?

Comment

Given the no1 low compression reading you supplied there must be a problem with that cylinder was the rings free in the piston?
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

the piston rings are free, the seats clean. I inserted the rings into the cylinder and fit perfectly into the dimensions of the manual. (exactly 0.28m, in practice as new). The valves and valve seats, on the other hand, are very bad, even the o-rings at the base of the cylinders are damaged.

Comment

Working...
                    X