Rebuild Engine Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Engine Help

Hello ! Im Andrew,i rebuilding the engine of my gsx550. Two weeks ago I bought a complete Vesrah seal kit. unfortunately yesterday I was able to read on various forums that are very bad gaskets. now I wonder ... do I throw them and buy more? I'd pay 100$ and i'd hate to throw them away...

Originally posted by Andrewball View Post
    Hello ! Im Andrew,i rebuilding the engine of my gsx550. Two weeks ago I bought a complete Vesrah seal kit. unfortunately yesterday I was able to read on various forums that are very bad gaskets. now I wonder ... do I throw them and buy more? I'd pay 100$ and i'd hate to throw them away...
    Have you opened them yet, if not ask for a return refund. Then get either factory or Cometic gaskets. https://www.cometic.com/
    I've had to use Vesrah gaskets at my work at times and they are a hit or miss. Sadly I don't get to choose what gaskets are given to me there.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Uhhh, I've got bad news for ya about Cometic gaskets. The ones I've seen and used were pitiful ill-fitting garbage, suitable only for returning hydrocarbons to the earth.

I guess some people like 'em, and maybe they were hot stuff in the '80s, but all the Cometic gaskets I've seen were apparently stamped out by Skippy the intern after an extended liquid lunch.

Get Suzuki OEM gaskets. Period.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Last year, I got two sets of Vesrah gaskets. One for my son's 1000G, one for my 850G.

I would have to check the odometers, but his bike has 6-7000 miles since the rebuild, absolutely no problems.

My bike blew out the base gasket within about 2000 miles.

I am in the process right now of installing Suzuki gaskets.

There are divided opinions on Vesrah (mine included).
        Most don't care for Cometic.
        The dislike for Athena is pretty much universal.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cometic fiber or copper? In past I use cometic fiber head gasket and are very good

Comment

Working...
          X