78 GS550 air leak maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 air leak maybe?

I have a 78 GS550. Over the winter I did a dyna electronic ignition.. And shimmed the valves. New plugs etc.. Has been running pretty nicely all spring. About a week ago I notice a couple of random backfires every now and again. Usually off the line. Just when I hit the throttle.. Pulled the plugs today.. Every plug looks a bit black and and souty.. Except for cylinder 4. Which had a white electrode and ceramic. So air leak on 4?? Where would be the most likely place for an air leak on a individual cylinder?? Carb boot?

I don't like souty plugs.. What you got for airfilter box,stock setup? Is filter element clean?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes.. Stock air box and filter. The filter was new last summer. Maybe pull it and give it a clean. But perplexed about the 1 lean looking one? What could cause 1 cylinder to run lean? Assuming all 3 carbs are set up the same?

Comment

Never assume anything on a 40 year old bike
        Pull the carbs and check everything
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

One prime suspect would be the o-ring where the intake boot meets the cylinder head.

Another prime suspect would be a broken tip on a pilot fuel screw, but that would be rather noticeable, as it would appear to idle on just three cylinders, then the fourth one would kick in about 1/4 throttle.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd drop #4 bowl and hope that something might have got sucked up into pilot jet area and can be extracted - you might get lucky!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X