Running Again, Almost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Again, Almost?

It has been a while (1 year +), but the 1981 GS650L is running again for the first time tonight. I had done most of the work on getting it back in running order previously. Everything from valve adjustments and carburetor cleaning to re-building the brakes. Everything was running well until the rear cam chain guide broke in half and I had to completely tear down the engine to replace the guide. The number 3 intake valve was also bent when the timing jumped with the broken guide.

Everything is back together now, valve clearances double checked/adjusted for the valve replacement, and the engine is back in the frame. I did a cold compression test just to make sure everything seemed to be in order. Very consistent across all four cylinders with 140-150 psi. Assuming would be better with a warm engine. Carbs and air box were already installed and throttle held wide open to check the compression.

Started the bike tonight. Didn't start easily, but now sounds good, idling smoothly, revving nicely..., but the number 2 exhaust header is ice cold compared to 1, 3, and 4. A damp paper towel against 1, 3, and 4 will sizzle. Nothing on 2.

Confirmed that there is spark on number 2.

Any thoughts why the number 2 cylinder appears to be running cold compared to the others?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
    1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
    2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
    2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

Since you confirmed spark and compression, I would check fueling next, maybe a stuck float? Blocked jet? At least you have it narrowed down to 1 carb to diag.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Blocked carb, or the vacuum diaphragm on the petcock has failed and flooded the #2 cylinder
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Blocked carb, or the vacuum diaphragm on the petcock has failed and flooded the #2 cylinder
        Yeah, petcock failure is likely - mine failed like this....you can test it or just get replacement for about $50.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Currently running on a portable fuel tank assuming that I was going to be checking the carb sync again after everything was running properly. Once I am back to using the bike's fuel tank, the petcock was also replaced in the earlier work. With the portable fuel tank, a golf tee is currently plugging the vacuum line. The portable tank does have a basic fuel valve inline. The valve is closed when I am not trying to run the engine.

When I removed the number 2 spark plug to check for spark, the plug was dry.

So blocked carb seems most likely.

I'll have to look later, but probably not much I can do without removing the whole gang of carburetors again??

Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

How about a squirt of brake cleaner into the vacuum line ?
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
              Currently running on a portable fuel tank assuming that I was going to be checking the carb sync again after everything was running properly. Once I am back to using the bike's fuel tank, the petcock was also replaced in the earlier work. With the portable fuel tank, a golf tee is currently plugging the vacuum line. The portable tank does have a basic fuel valve inline. The valve is closed when I am not trying to run the engine.

When I removed the number 2 spark plug to check for spark, the plug was dry.

So blocked carb seems most likely.

I'll have to look later, but probably not much I can do without removing the whole gang of carburetors again??

Thanks,
              Dave
              Yeah, those will have to come off again. I think you could most likely start with leaving them ganged together though. I would first check the float for proper operation, sometimes they get sticky and wont flow fuel to the bowl, or if you accidentally installed it back wrong it could again not flow fuel to the bowl. If its not the float I would then re-clean the idle ciruit/pilot jet to ensure it is not blocked off. Since it is getting fuel past the #2 carb to the outside carb, I wouldn't suspect it would have anything wrong with getting the fuel from the tank to the carb ie the "T" connections. Good luck, let us know what it was when you track it down.
              1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
              1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
              Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Space is tight in there but before removing them I would try to get the top off the #2 carb to see if the diaphragm is seated right.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Just opened the float bowl drain. Gas is in the bowl, but not getting to the cylinder I guess. Disappointing to remove the carbs again since even now, one press of the start button and it fires right up.

Comment

SYNC carbs. The throttle plate isnt as open as the others.

EDIT..take them off and ensure you have a good EVEN bench sync between all throttle plates.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-23-2019, 03:15 PM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll try the sync before taking them off again. Wasn't thinking that would be the issue since they were synced when it was last running and shouldn't have been a major change. Picture is Carbtune from after the carb removal and cleaning.

IMG_4503.jpg

Comment

Anytime you "clean" carbs or do a valve adjustment this changes the whole thing, so yes it also changes sync. I can also suggest you loosen the adjuster screw between 1 and 2 and gently turn the adjuster to see if the offending cylinder finds life. May have to turn the idle up a bit to prevent stalling while you test tweek the adjuster. If a tweek brings it back online then proceed with another sync...and try to get the bars a little tighter.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Finally had a chance to check the carb sync, but did not improve the number 2 cylinder. Pulled the carb bank off as soon as things cooled down enough and opened up the float bowl on the number 2 carb. There was fuel in the float bowl, but interestingly the fuel across all 4 carbs has a distinct green tint. The fuel is new, treated with Seafoam and Stabil 360, and clear in the auxiliary tank... The real problem seems to be some crud that has already been generated in the carb. The main jet was completely plugged. Nothing solid, but enough to prevent a good flow of fuel. Easily cleaned with piece of wire and carb cleaner.

The fuel hose was replaced with Suzuki OEM hose. Any possibility that the fuel is deteriorating the hose that quickly to create this crud within the carburetor? There is nothing else that would be introducing this to the fuel that I am aware of of. The number 2 carb would be first to receive this crud before the other 3 carbs?

Comment

"The number 2 carb would be first to receive this crud before the other 3 carbs?"

unlikely, they'd all get a taste. The new fuel hose is not likely to deteriorate , but if it was laying around , critters could have found a hideout. Does #2 still have fuel bowl inlet screen?
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There's a crystalline build up from evaporating gas causing the green tint.
                              While a full carb clean is generally recommended, it may not remove the problem

I recommend riding it and see if the problem reoccurs. Run a bit of Seafoam in every tank of gas
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X