'82 GS1100E Starter Clutch Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100E Starter Clutch Removal

Hello everyone. What kind of wrestling match am I looking at with removing the starter clutch on my bike? I just got the proper removal tool from Motion Pro. The hub has been installed since the factory so it is on there good and tight........is it just a matter of applying an ample amount of torque to get that bastard to slide off?

With the proper tool, it should come off with reasonable force on the wrench.

Whatever you do, do NOT use a hammer on the side of the rotor to try to persuade anything.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure to back off the bolt on the tool enough to allow the threads to fully seat on the rotor.
      That's after removing the rotor nut on the crank..

Thread the bolt snuggly against the end of crank. Tap end of bolt with a hammer or a sacrificial 17mm to not damage bolt head.
      The shock waves help creep the rotor off the taper
      Snug it up again, tap, tap. It'll likely come off after a few rounds of this, unless it spun in the past, scarring up the taper.

I made a crude rotor holder when it comes to tightening it back up after new starter clutch is installed.
      It's just 2 C-clamps cut in half and screwed to 2' of angle iron.
      Remove the pivoting clamp portion, so the threaded end can thread in loosely to the holes on the outside of rotor.
      Holes in the outside of rotor reveal the backside of the magnets, so care is required hold the clamps loosely.
      Use wood or the garage floor to torque to spec against angle iron.

I guess some people use an impact gun, but I don't own a compressor.

It's a good idea to check that the starter clutch spins freely one way, but not the other.
      Per BlowerBikes suggestion, do this before idle gear and dowel are inserted.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Just wait till it falls off......like mine did ! Looking back, and now knowing the small taper 1100E crank has some gremlins, I wish I would have taken mine off or at least re-torqued the nut before the ugliness happened.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Gnarly. Is this something that I should check and retorque on my GS1100EZ? How can I gtell if my '82 has the small end crank? I understand some late production bikes had the revised crank?
              1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
              2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Okay thanks
                1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
                2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Originally posted by dweller View Post
                  Gnarly. Is this something that I should check and retorque on my GS1100EZ?
                  I would !

Originally posted by isleoman
                  Once you hear the bang take action.
                  Mine didnt bang. Just the sound of the starter spinning because the big gear came out far enough to lose engagement with the other gears.

That was several years ago. With the help of my friend, who is a bike rebuild guru, we lapped the crank to the clutch with an aggressive compound. Cleaned it thoroughly. Coated it with the "never gonna come off" loctite. Hit the nut with an impact.

5 years later Im hearing what sounds like (and feels like ?) the side stand is down and hit the ground for just 1 second.......weird......Im gonna give it another look see.
                  Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

crank measurements

Here is some crank measurements, Coarse lapping compound has worked in some of those cases, But to be safe before all that lapping and thread clean up I would take a dial indicator and see if the crank isn't bent on the left end.May have been wobbling,a lot of damage.Seen lots spin but that looks a little rough.Luck to ya!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 07-14-2019, 02:03 AM.
                    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                    X