Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil wouldn't drain so...

I haven't found this in the micro-fish... anyone have any ideas? LOL

My thoughts are some type of anti-cavitation sponge past it's life expectancy???
    Just one of the fun things this GS is sharing with me...
    Attached Files
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

No sponge. Largest pile of crud ive ever seen. Most likely clutch material I would say. Thank god you took the pan off!!!! Should just be the pick up screen there.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Never seen clutch material that colour. Looks like a kitchen sponge/washcloth but the texture will tell you.

Reminds me of a call I got from an engine customer. His 5 year old had been "copying dad" by putting stuff in the oil filler...
      Luckily the engine hadn't been started - but it was a strip and wash out. Remarkable what he'd managed to get in there, LOL.

Comment

Shop rag?....
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah it does look like a shop rag, I'd bet someone stuffed it in the cam chain gallery during a service and forgot about it. Looks like it was sucked right onto the pump screen. Crazy.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

It does look like a shop rag, but I don't think it would get into a position like that by chance. With the depressions in it, it almost looks like it was being used as a prefilter.
            :cool:GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Looks like it's an old oil soaked pork pie, what ever it is ime glad it's not in my sump😳
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

The texture isn't a shop towel. And if it was a shop towel it's not only been in there a while, but it would have to of been several towels because its dense. As gsrick said "but I don't think it would get into a position like that by chance." Also, the edges of a shop towel would have to still be there and we didn't find any different texture.

I saved it just in case....

Engine runs with no abnormal noise ( my Harley has plenty of those ) Just took the scoot out for it's maiden voyage and although there is a part to full throttle issue, not once was I concerned with the oil pressure or lack there of.
                Current:
                1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                1998 Chevy C2500
                1999 Rav4

Comment

Either accident or deliberate.
                  I think we can probably dismiss deliberately putting a filter element in like that, as there would be evidence of it being a manufactured part, and I've never come across a pre-filter on a pick-up screen.
                  The other deliberate is sabotage - somebody shoved something into the engine in the hope of wrecking it, but what they didn't know was the GS engines with their roller bearing cranks are low pressure and almost unburstable. Sufficient oil was getting through that to keep the clockwork ticking.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    ...sabotage - somebody shoved something into the engine in the hope of wrecking it...
                    +1

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    .....but what they didn't know was the GS engines with their roller bearing cranks are low pressure and almost unburstable. Sufficient oil was getting through that to keep the clockwork ticking.
                    and +1 again! LOL.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                    X