Timing for an 81' Gs550t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing for an 81' Gs550t

Any ideas on how to time the engine ? I have spark, fuel, compression but my engine doesn't start. Im thinking the timing is off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Demio0892 View Post
    Any ideas on how to time the engine ? I have spark, fuel, compression but my engine doesn't start. Im thinking the timing is off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Doubtful it's a timing issue...unless it's been messed with. Is this a new for you bike??
    do you know its maintenance history? The "choke" system needs to work correctly or bike won't want to cold start. Do not apply any throttle when using the "choke" or you defeat its purpose.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The ignition points were swapped for an electronic one similar to the dynatek s, but apart from that ive never touched it. How about valve timing ? Because it backfires and spits but it wont start.

Comment

Originally posted by Demio0892 View Post
        The ignition points were swapped for an electronic one similar to the dynatek s, but apart from that ive never touched it. How about valve timing ? Because it backfires and spits but it wont start.
        How similar to the dyna ? Brand?? Did it run before this swap ?
        check that the spark wires are on correct plugs. As you sit on bike ,the left ignition coil fires #1 and #4 - check carefully as it's easy to mix them up. Don't rely on number tags on coil leads.
        To check valve timing, you will have to remove camcover noting the position of the cover bolts- you'll need a new gasket - plan to spend time removing old gasket residue .
        I'd suspect ignition or carb issue before I'd blame crank to valve timing. Most of these critters are way behind on their maintenance.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1981 GS models didn't have points
          You sure of what model you have, or has it been messed with by previous owners?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I did not know they didn't have points, then its the original ignition pickup coils, what do you suggest i do ? I already cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Dipped them in chem dip and other parts.

Comment

I thought the problem would be ignition or carbs too, but I rebuilt and cleaned the carbs already. I have new spark plugs and boots and I have strong spark in every cylinder. Hence Im thinking that the problem has something to do with the timing ?

Comment

Hopefully when you "rebuilt" the carbs , you cleaned the existing parts and used new o-rings rather than aftermarket rebuild kits. Check that the plug wires are on correct spark plug...if that's ok, then suspect clogged passages in the fuel enrichment circuits "the choke" . This circuit draws a bit of fuel up thru bottom of each fuel bowl and up into the choke plungers where it's mixed with air and sucked into carb throats during cranking. Sometimes this small pickup tube stays clogged after dipping. My bike will not start cold without the extra fuel mixture supplied by the "choke" system.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X