1100L Tach Cable Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100L Tach Cable Q

I need a new tach cable for a 82 1100L. On ebay there are many reasonable priced replacements BUT, only for an 80. The title says will fit 82 but in the post, in the list of vehicles it does not show and when you enter the specific bike it says no fit. Can someone verify a 1980 GS1100L tach cable will or will not fit a 1982 GS1100L? Many thanks..

You can look up the part number for that cable on a site like this https://alpha-sports.com/

Use their cross reference tool under "Specia tools", Parts finder:All

Then see what other bikes use that cable.

They are different parts.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Or just buy a brand new one guaranteed to fit from PartsOutlaw.com in Florida:

46 CABLE, TACHOMETER 34940-45212 $15.33
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have not looked the part numbers, but be aware that the '80 1100L and the '82 1100L are VERY different bikes.

I have no idea how different the instrument panels are, but:

'80 GS1100L
        4 valves per cyinder
        chain driven
        tach cable mounts to cylinder head cover

'82 GS1100L is actually GS1100GL
        2 valves per cylinder
        shaft driven
        tach cable mounts to cylinder head

Yeah, you would think that the engine shouldn't make much difference in the tach cable, but the extra distance down to the cylinder might require a longer cable on the '82.

And, ... for $15 and change, plus $5 for shipping, why are we even discussing this?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey thanks people! Got a new way to cross reference parts and a new place to buy them! $15 bucks IS hard to beat. It messes with my mind that just a few years ago you couldn't buy these kinda parts without selling a kidney too! Thanks I appreciate your help.

As point of interest, I need the new cable cuz I was re-attaching the cable after doing wires in the headlight and the nut (ferrule), just crumbled in my hand! Broke into 5 pieces. I assume someone prior cranked it down a little TOO hard.

Comment

You're welcome. Keep in mind that no matter what dealer you go to (local or remote), nobody keeps the stock on hand and all must order from the warehouse. Depending on where their warehouse is, what day of the week it is, and how they place their ordering it can take 3-5 days for orders to get to them. A local dealer will hand it over to you pretty quickly once they receive it while folks like Parts Outlaw must then put it in the mail which can take another 3-5 days to get to you. Best advice - be patient
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, always check OEM first. FleaBay is the utmost last resort.

Cables and levers are surprisingly inexpensive (often cheaper or very close) for far better quality parts than the evil junk peddled by Parts Unlimited and Motion Pro.

Same for brake rebuild kits; NEVER get the incomplete aftermarket imitation garbage if you can possibly help it.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My local Suzuki dealer is always the one that I go to first. OEM when possible otherwise he quotes me aftermarket. At a 30 mile one way ride a phone call does it all. Been dealing with them now for almost 12 years now and have a dozen bikes. Buy OEM and replace once, but beware some parts they are not making anymore, IE valve cover gasket for a 83 1100 G.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment