Suzuki Clutch Cable vs Motion Pro - Stick with Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Clutch Cable vs Motion Pro - Stick with Suzuki

I just wanted to share my experience over the weekend.
    My clutch hasn't felt smooth in a long time and I couldn't get it adjusted enough to feel like it was fully disengaging when the freeplay was correct. A few months ago I installed a new Motion Pro cable, but it didn't make any difference. So after some reading, I read the Suzuki cables were supposed to be allot better. So I bought a new OEM cable, I also bought a new clutch handle as my old one had the bushing hole ovaled out. The handle came in first so I greased the pivot and installed it and it didn't make any real difference. Then my cable arrived and I lubed it and installed it this weekend. WOW! The action is smooth and easy, and the clutch works perfectly. Looking at the two cables I don't see any differences except the Suzuki uses a plastic bushing on the handle end.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Stick with Suzuki - I second that motion.

And of course, don't remove the old clutch cable until you've fed the new one through.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's a little too soon for you to notice, but the Suzuki cable will tend to last longer, too.

Can you share what the price difference was (if any) between the two cables?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        It's a little too soon for you to notice, but the Suzuki cable will tend to last longer, too.

Can you share what the price difference was (if any) between the two cables?

I don't recall what I paid for the Motion Pro (I was thinking $18-$20), but I paid $22.49 for the Suzuki cable from a seller on Ebay. The online prices are a little lower but cost freight.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

in my experience motion pro clutch cables stretch on large bikes with a heavier pull.........i only buy one in a pinch.

Comment

I used to think that cables would "stretch" until I discovered what was actually happening.

When you pull on a cable, the metal inner part pulls against the inside of the outer sheath. Repeat that with every pull, you can understand how you will cut a groove on the inside of the bend. The deeper the groove, the shorter the path the inner cable has to take, so it appears to "stretch".

Oh, yeah, "heavier pull" on the clutch also means dragging harder on the inside of that bend, cutting that groove deeper and sooner.

Suzuki seems to use a better liner that lasts longer.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, avoid Parts Unlimited and Motion Pro cables and levers.

They're crap and OEM Suzuki cables and levers are surprisingly cheap. Usually little to no cost difference.

Motion Pro sells some decent tools, anyway.
              Last edited by bwringer; 08-21-2019, 09:37 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Another observation, the OEM clutch cable for my '83 850G had reinforced areas, like where it passed between # 1 and 2 carb boots, and a rubber pad where it rested on the oil pressure sensor. The motion pro cable didnt have either, leaving it vulnerable to wear out sooner at those places.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                X