Removing stuck valve stem seals tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing stuck valve stem seals tip

First time reworking a head. The valve stem seals are really stuck. Practicing on a spare head because I don't want to mess up the guides. Did some reading on the forum and whoever posted the "burn the rubber off with a torch" tips were very helpful. Made it a lot easier.

I learned another trick that someone might find useful. I raided my tackle box and grabbed my heavy duty fishing forceps. My needle nose pliers were either too big or too small, but this worked. Was able to get the seals wobbling and eventually pull off.

forceps.jpg

Actually heat does work. You don't necessarily have to burn them off but some heat, even a good hair dryer might be enough, will probably soften things up enough to pull them off.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      First time reworking a head. The valve stem seals are really stuck. Practicing on a spare head because I don't want to mess up the guides. Did some reading on the forum and whoever posted the "burn the rubber off with a torch" tips were very helpful. Made it a lot easier.

I learned another trick that someone might find useful. I raided my tackle box and grabbed my heavy duty fishing forceps. My needle nose pliers were either too big or too small, but this worked. Was able to get the seals wobbling and eventually pull off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58852[/ATTACH]
      That tip originated from Eric Bang. See my signature.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I use Z1 stem seals on the 2V heads. All rubber, no removal problems. Give you a little more room for bigger cam lifts too.

Comment

Smiling here at the piece of line on the forceps. So what exactly have you lost overboard
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Smiling here at the piece of line on the forceps. So what exactly have you lost overboard
            HA, yeah I fish from a kayak. Most everything is lashed down, but it's a constant inventory of what's fallen or about to fall. Lost my paddle once in some rapids because I was too busy fishing. Made due with a flip flop for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. On my spare head the seals were tough to move. On the new head, they came right off with needle nose.

Comment

Working...
              X