Need Oil filler plug O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Oil filler plug O-ring

Never had a problem with oil oozing out the top of the case at the cap until this year. I must have lost this O-ring when I changed the oil last winter. Since I don't really need anything else to make it worth placing an online parts order, and the closest dealer is further than I want to drive for this, is this something on which I can use an o-ring that my local good hardware store may have? does the part # reveal anything about the size? I have to stop there on the way home anyway.

O RING
    09280-32005

O RING
    09280-32005
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

The "32" in the second part of the part number indicates that the inner diameter of the O-ring is 32 mm. I just went out and measured the O-ring on the filler cap of my 850, and confirm the ID is 32 mm.

The thickness appears to be 2 mm, but the O-ring has been on there for some time, so it could have been slightly thicker originally.

A normal hardware store O-ring will work fine for that application.
    I suggest that you take the filler cap inside the store with you, and select an O-ring that most closely fits the groove in the cap.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Just wondering, are all "O" rings made of material that won't be deteriorated by oil or gas?
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
        ...... take the filler cap inside the store with you, and select an O-ring that most closely fits the groove in the cap.
        Ok, ultra "Duh" moment for me, sometimes I just don't think. Thanks
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Just wondering, are all "O" rings made of material that won't be deteriorated by oil or gas?
          There are different materials and grades, sure.
          For that application, just about any of the common ones will work fine.
          If it were being exposed to real internal heat or pressure or gas, I'd look closely at it.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Most hardware store o-rings are made of Buna-N, which resists gas and oil and will work fine here.

For higher heat situations like intake boot o-rings, you need Viton o-rings (or the generic equivalent material). You can order these from McMaster-Carr or other industrial suppliers.

In this situation, a relatively large o-ring where the consequences of failure are nearly nonexistent, a rummage through any hardware store should fix you right up. That said, the o-rings are normally found in little plastic bags, so it might be hard to match things up.

Or, buy an o-ring assortment. It's a very handy thing to have around and the first time it saves you a trip to the hardware store, it'll be worth it.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

they have a perfectly adequate asst. in nitrile at horror fright...
              Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Most hardware store o-rings are made of Buna-N, which resists gas and oil and will work fine here.

For higher heat situations like intake boot o-rings, you need Viton o-rings (or the generic equivalent material). You can order these from McMaster-Carr or other industrial suppliers.

In this situation, a relatively large o-ring where the consequences of failure are nearly nonexistent, a rummage through any hardware store should fix you right up. That said, the o-rings are normally found in little plastic bags, so it might be hard to match things up.

Or, buy an o-ring assortment. It's a very handy thing to have around and the first time it saves you a trip to the hardware store, it'll be worth it.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I thought they may be like rubber hoses, some were made petroleum resistant & others weren't, Just thought if you use one made for a water faucet, then remove the cap 3 mo. later & nothing remained except a ring of goooo, Oh shirt!!. I've learned something again, thanks.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It tickles me to have anyone even bother to respond to this seemingly trivial, almost non-issue.
                  To continue my epic saga of the missing oil cap o-ring:
                  HW store had great assortment of loose o-rings and a helpful associate to help me find just the right size. (See pic below). Found one that fit into position 1, and another that slipped over it into position 2. Wasn’t sure which was right. Thanked the guy, bought both, and went home to see which was right. Smaller ring (1) didn’t let the cap close enough, I think, though I believe would seal enough. Bigger ring (2) only fits well into position 2 if the smaller ring is also there. Measuring the larger ring, it’s @30mm. So I’ll stop again tomorrow and look for the one that’s just right, closer to 32mm. Thanks for all the replies.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yep, the o-ring goes into the groove.

Hey, most of us in the US are kinda bored, and this is an easy problem...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If push comes to shove and you can't find the exact size, you could take two of the larger ones that fit the groove and lengthen one by splicing in a short piece of the other. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) works well to join o-rings end to end if the ends are cut square-on.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        If push comes to shove and you can't find the exact size, you could take two of the larger ones that fit the groove and lengthen one by splicing in a short piece of the other. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) works well to join o-rings end to end if the ends are cut square-on.
                        Thanks Dave. Never thought of that. My luck, the piece I glue would break off and end up in my oil sump next time I removed the cap. I will definitely keep that info in my book of tricks, though.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Groove 2 is the proper place, and only one ring should be used.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

When I needed a new cap o ring, I went down to my nearest John Deere dealer. Found what I needed and got a couple spares. A hydraulic shop usually has all kinds of o-ring sizes.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

32 x 2.2 mm. Picked one up at the local hydraulic/farm/eng supplier for a few cents.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X