Cylinder head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head gasket

Hi, I have an 82 gs850g. Has anyone used an Athena head gasket? I recently did rings, lapped valves, replaced seal guides with viton guides and when I start up the bike she smokes from both exhaust pipes. Once the engine is warmed up within 5 minutes there is no smoke from either exhaust pipe. I know I placed the rings in with spacing at 12/4/8 o'clock, when I lapped the valves I did a gas check, no leaks. a compression test is 135-140 on 1,2 &4 cylinders, #3 is about 120, That could be a valve adjustment hopefully. My question is really about the head gasket. Could that be the problem? The bike runs great, I'm just concerned about the head gasket. Any advice appreciated.

Wait, you did a complete top end redo, and you didn't check the valve clearances?
    You do realize that lapping the valves can change the clearance?

How many miles have you put on it?

I can't comment personally on the Athena, some don't like them.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

No, I did the valve clearances, sorry I didn't mention that.

Comment

All the valve clearances are .0025.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          I can't comment personally on the Athena, some don't like them.
          Need to adjust that a bit, Big T.

From those who DO have experience with them, it should read "MOST don't like them".

Athena seems to be on the bottom of the list, just above cereal boxes, for quality of gaskets. Virtually all others are considerably better, with Suzuki at the top of the list. Especially for critical stuff, like head gasket and base gasket. Those are gaskets that you don't want to do too many times, so splurge and get the best. Most of the others don't require complete disassembly of the engine to change, so it's not quite as bad if they fail (again).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stay away from all Athena gaskets, period.

OEM gaskets are definitely the "can't go wrong" route, although they will lighten your wallet considerably. To the point that if you ever have to rebuild the whole engine, you will spend about as much on new gaskets and seals as you might possibly pay for a running used engine.

I'm trying my luck with a Vesrah HG-3003 from Z1 Enterprises (https://www.z1enterprises.com/gasket...1-1-piece.html) on my 1979 GS850G. $46 instead of $100 for OEM. When I got it, I compared to a used OEM one I happened to have and it looked surprisingly similar. Not identical but seemed to be of about the same quality. No problems with it yet but time will tell.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

There was a time that Athena was the go to for classic bike rebuilds.
              There is a shop here with fine CB900s to their credit and the owner still swears by Athena.
              However, in these times supply chains are changing so fast under the same banner that a reputation gained decades ago is suspect.
              Marketeers are not above exploiting the good deeds of their forefathers.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It's possible they make good gaskets for other bikes and vehicles but I haven't seen any Athena gaskets that were decent enough for my bikes.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  I'm trying my luck with a Vesrah HG-3003 from Z1 Enterprises (https://www.z1enterprises.com/gasket...1-1-piece.html) on my 1979 GS850G. $46 instead of $100 for OEM. When I got it, I compared to a used OEM one I happened to have and it looked surprisingly similar. Not identical but seemed to be of about the same quality. No problems with it yet but time will tell.
                  I went the same route with my '80 850. Less than a year later, I had to replace it, went OEM.

Yes, OEM costs more, but you only have to do it once.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I was lucky enough to find a NOS Suzuki head gasket for my 1100G on ebay, just $40.
                    Could not find one anyplace else.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                      Stay away from all Athena gaskets, period.

OEM gaskets are definitely the "can't go wrong" route, although they will lighten your wallet considerably. To the point that if you ever have to rebuild the whole engine, you will spend about as much on new gaskets and seals as you might possibly pay for a running used engine.

I can get a spare enginge for a hundred bucks?

Altho I do think I might need new gaskets, there are oil coming out of the clutch cover (right by the oil check window). And some white smoke when started cold, so the oil isn't staying where it should... But it might be synthetic tho (just bought it). Ill change it all when the snow melts.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

I have used Athena gaskets on my GS and on a CB900 I owned and had no issues with them leaking.
                        1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                          ... And some white smoke when started cold, so the oil isn't staying where it should... But it might be synthetic tho (just bought it). Ill change it all when the snow melts.
                          Depending on the temperature, you will see some white "smoke" when starting. That is actually water vapor due to condensation in the exhaust system and will dissapate rather quickly. Use your hand to deflect some of the exhaust so you can smell it. If it merely smells rich, that's normal. Burning oil has a unique odor and the smoke will hang around, clouding up the area.

Please don't buy into the idea that synthetic oil will cause leaks or make your bike use more oil. The only way that is going to happen is if you already have a leak. Synthetic oils tend to have more detergents in them, so they will clean away deposits that might have accumulated at a leak point. Once those deposits have been cleaned away, the leak will re-appear. Yes, synthetic oil uncovered the leak, but it didn't cause it.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                            I can get a spare enginge for a hundred bucks?
                            Well, maybe. Some people have gotten them for free. But I was referring to the price of a full rebuild, not just one gasket. I just priced this out a few months ago and all OEM gaskets, o-rings, and seals added up to $251.35 before shipping and taxes.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

Thanks for everyone's response. I ordered Vesrah gaskets, got a complete rebuild set for $102. I've used them before and had good results. I was just penny pinching with athena. No more..

Comment

Working...
                              X