Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain tensioner question - 82 GS1100E

Hi,

I've looked a lot for information about this but not sure how to proceed. My bike is running well, but is a little noisy and hiccuppy(?) at idle. If I keep the revs over 12, 1300, it really smooths out.

I'm wondering if the cam chain might be a little loose. I believe this is relatively common for these bikes.

Most of the information I've been able to dig up indicates that the tension is set when the chain is installed, and that it's set-it-and-forget, that the tensioner is self adjusting and that's pretty much it. Despite that, and because I'm not prepared to replace it (emotionally, mentally, or otherwise), I'm wondering if I can/should/shouldn't try lining up the timing marks and then loosening/resetting the tensioner to see if it will take up any slack.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information that could help, or if my question doesn't make sense, etc.

Thanks!

el schwartzo
    1982 GS1100EZ

If tensioner was properly installed and correctly allowed to slide out, it’s self adjusting ....have a look here.

Assume the worse...best to know, cuz lots of these tensioners were installed wrong. I doubt your “hiccups” are related. Have you checked valve clearances recently?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ah, thanks for that link. That's interesting. I'd only seen bw ringer's cam chain tensioner rebuild tutorial previously (referenced at the bottom of that writeup).
      I'll have to read it through a few times and look over the manual, but it seems like there isn't much risk in trying to do the "reset" as described in what you linked. And I gather that I don't have to do anything in terms of lining up timing marks - that must be part of the cam chain replacement service that I'd read elsewhere.

And yes, the valves were done recently by me, along with rebuilding the carbs (cycleorings.com)

Thanks for the pointer
      1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

You should just rebuild it per the tutorial
        No sense in having it act poorly due to a 38 year old seal.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X