No announcement yet.

heavy clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost positive. Will try the robinsons foundry before I start stripping the clutch. It was quite a few sleeps ago that I replaced the springs so anything's possible.
    1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Replacing clutch springs is easy and fast; you don't need to disassemble anything aside from removing the clutch cover.

0) Buy an OEM gasket and OEM springs. If you buy a gasket, the existing gasket will likely be re-usable if it's OEM. If you don't buy a gasket, it will tear. Some relative of Murphy's Law is at work here...

1) Place bike on kickstand. That way all the oil will run to the left and you won't lose any from the right side when you remove the clutch cover.

2) Remove clutch cover. On some bikes you have to remove the footpeg.

3) Remove and replace the bolts and springs one at a time.

4) Reassemble, adjust, and go ride.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

New springs ordered. Will report back when Ihave replaced them. Might have to wait until the rain eases off.......maybe some time in August possibly before I can go out for a ride. Never been a fan of riding in the wet, daft really seeing as I live in the U.K.

Quick update, springs arrived today (5th March) looking promising, I can squish these springs a bit by hand where from memory the other 'standard' springs were as tough as hell to squish.

hopefully I can get the springs changed this weekend and post pictures of the hydraulic conversion.
        Last edited by erki52; 03-05-2020, 10:02 AM.
        1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Clutch assembly removed, all bearings inspected and greased. Everything that should move, moves freely everything that shouldn't move......doesn't. New springs have been been fitted. As soon as I get the gasket (thought I had one in the shed) I can finish off and see if anything has changed.
          1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Update time. All bolted back together and adjusted. It has made a difference changing the springs and greasing the parts that benefit from a bit of grease. Clutch lever now operates with 3 fingers instead of 2 hands so progress.
            1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Thanks for sorting this out, I'll bookmark this thread and go over the same procedure on my '81 gs750 when I've sorted some other stuff that's higher up on the list.

-Lars

Comment

Working...
              X