Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the cylinder head: Should I leave the oil in, or drain it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the cylinder head: Should I leave the oil in, or drain it?

I ask because if I'm going to remove the cylinder head, I might as well clean the tops of the pistons, right?
    I imagine if I tried to turn it without some form of lubrication to bring each to the top, bad things will happen... or would it be safe, since it wouldn't generate heat like a running engine when turned by hand?
    1980 GS550E

Based on what I have read in your last few threads, this is going to be a fun thread.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

if you are taking the head off, you should take the barrels off as well and replace the base gasket and O rings, otherwise it WILL leak after you reassemble it all, then you will have to pull it all off again.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        if you are taking the head off, you should take the barrels off as well and replace the base gasket and O rings, otherwise it WILL leak after you reassemble it all, then you will have to pull it all off again.
        The base gasket being the gasket between the cylinder head and the area where the pistons live?
        The barrels go around the pistons, right? If so, I've heard them referred to as piston sleeves.
        Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM.
        1980 GS550E

Comment

There's plenty of residual oil, so you don't need to worry about oil supply when turning the engine to set timing. You can drain the oil in the pan or leave it; it doesn't really matter.

That said, when you reassemble the engine, you do need to lubricate the bores; just smear some engine oil on with your fingers. And you also need to lubricate the cam journals with engine oil when you install the cams. This is all described clearly in the manuals.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

There is no way that this is going to turn out well. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
              There is no way that this is going to turn out well. Just saying.
              Please don't do this Zombie, you're struggling enough as it is. If you take this step you may very well kill this machine.
              You need local assistance - TheGSR forum can only do so much. Please look for local help....
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                Please don't do this Zombie, you're struggling enough as it is. If you take this step you may very well kill this machine.
                You need local assistance - TheGSR forum can only do so much. Please look for local help....
                I know, this is all stuff I've never done before, and I'm worried I'll mess up something. Before, I had scarcely touched a motorcycle, let alone worked on one. All of this has been a learning experience to me.
                Working with the guts of an engine is magnitudes greater than undoing a screw. However, I don't have the money to pay a proper mechanic (being unemployed and no one will hire me), and I've made several posts on Nextdoor, asking for any shadetree mechanics nearby, but no such luck. Disability payments are all I get, since I was disbarred from donating plasma due to an autistic reaction I had with a smell. I can only do so much on a limited income, which is why this has taken so long.

So I'm either stuck doing this myself, or I might as well hang up my helmet and stick to an electric bicycle.
                Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM.
                1980 GS550E

Comment

It's even on sale!

We stock an excellent range of electric bikes cheap, suitable for all budgets, have it built and delivered. We offer the Best Electric Bikes For Sale.
                  I ride many bikes.
                  Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

The more you take apart, the more money its going to cost to put it back together again, so why not just leave it and do just the bare essentials to get it running. No more, no less.
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
                      I already have one... but thanks, I get what you're saying...
                      Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 05-17-2020, 01:46 PM.
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        The more you take apart, the more money its going to cost to put it back together again, so why not just leave it and do just the bare essentials to get it running. No more, no less.
                        It does run, but not well. I can only run it with the choke out (minimum is a finger's width from the bottom before it dies). If I keep running it with the valve shims too tight, I'm worried that's going to cause more damage in the long run. I got this bike for $200, and it clearly wasn't maintained. When you buy a used bike, you often buy someone else's problems. But it was either that, or wait for a "someday" which would never come.
                        I need to replace the valve shims, easy and cheap. But that still won't do much if there's an air leak from an intake boot that isn't secured all the way. And to do that, I have to fix a screw hole. And to do that properly, I have to take the head off. The idea is to drill out the hole, re-tap it, and put a helicoil in it. But I can't do that if the head is still on the engine.
                        1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                          I need to replace the valve shims, easy and cheap. But that still won't do much if there's an air leak from an intake boot that isn't secured all the way. And to do that, I have to fix a screw hole. And to do that properly, I have to take the head off. The idea is to drill out the hole, re-tap it, and put a helicoil in it. But I can't do that if the head is still on the engine.
                          You have all that correct, but you forgot one critical part.

Even the best of us are not able to remove that broken bolt, fill the hole that was improperly drilled, then drill and re-tap a proper hole for the proper bolt. You will have to take that to a machinist, and the bill there will probably be more than what you spent for the bike. You will also spend at least that much for all the proper gaskets.

With your lack of finances and apparent mechanical expertise, are you SURE you want to tackle this?

Comment

It does run, but not well. I can only run it with the choke out (minimum is a finger's width from the bottom before it dies). If I keep running it with the valve shims too tight, I'm worried that's going to cause more damage in the long run. I got this bike for $200, and it clearly wasn't maintained. When you buy a used bike, you often buy someone else's problems. But it was either that, or wait for a "someday" which would never come.
                            OK, you should live with the leaky valve cover gasket and work on getting the bike running better. Again, the broken bolt can wait and is not contributing to the poor running conditions. Your focus now is the valve shims - you have to get this right or all else will be adversely affected. At a later date replacing the valve gasket with a Tennessee Real Gasket may stem the leak. Heck, I'll have one sent to you.
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

All that can be done with the engine intact. If you cant get good access to remove the broken bolt, take the engine out. That costs nothing and gives you much greater ease of access.
                              Get the shims done and sort the carbs out.
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X