Clutch spring spacer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch spring spacer question

Just installed new clutch plates and noticed when I was torquing down the 6 clutch spring bolts that one of the bolts was going in further than the rest before I reached the proper torque. I removed it and noticed the aluminum spacer was sort of crushed.

Ordered all new ones but I'm wondering if in the meantime it would be ok to square up the end of the bad one and reinstall it even though it would make it slightly shorter than the others. Anyone have advice on this?

I attached a picture. The one on the right is the bad one.IMG_20200822_212239804~2.jpg
    1982 GS1100gl

To get even clutch lift, they should all be the same length.

Suggesting you can square up the damaged end infers you have access to a lathe. It's easy to make up a replacement if you do....

I have in the past made up shorter sets for race use - increasing the spring pressure.

Comment

Figured that would be the case. I have lathe access at work but by the time I actually get to it the new ones would probably be here.
      1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Ended up having the spacers made at work. The ones I ordered ended up being on back order. Everything is in. Now I'm just waiting on the gasket because they sent me the wrong one. Hopefully that's not backordered as well.
        1982 GS1100gl

Comment

That’s good! Good luck
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X