Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS 1100G Faring Removal (Is it possible?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS 1100G Faring Removal (Is it possible?)

Hey Everyone. Right now I have a 78 GS400 and I love it, but a 400 is tiny compared to today's new standards. My uncle has an 82 GS1100 G and he desperately wants it out of his garage. I am seriously considering it, but it has a really, really ugly faring.

I believe the faring is stock. It is not mounted to the handlebars or to the fork, it doesn't even turn with the bars. What I want to do is compeltely remove the whole faring/windshield combo.

My big concern is wiring and the headling bucket. On my GS400, there is big mess of wires behind the headlight, is this the same with the GS1100?

Has anyone had experience with mounting a headlight bucket on a GS1100 G? Is it even possible to do it?

Basically, I want the 1100 the have the same basic styling as the GS400. I love the look of a clean naked bike.

Thanks for any input.

If it is the kind that has it's own headlight bucket and lamp then you will need the stock one to put back on the bike when you take it off. Some of them were made that they would use the stock one so look it over. But either way, removal of the fairing is more than possible.

Comment

When I bought my 80 GS1000G and took off the ugly fairing there were standard headlight bucket mounting ears behind it. Maybe you have the same?

Comment

What about the front turn signals??

What a great site! I have been living here all week, and I have unsuccessfully searched the forum and the old Q&A for this answer. I am a newbie from suburbs of Chicago. Just bought my first motorcycle, an '81 GS750L. I want to remove the fairing, and I see the ears for the headlight. Where do you mount the front turn signals? Will they fit on the ears as well? Any other tips you can provide to do this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comment

is this a gs1100gz or a gs1100gk. do you have any pics. most likely you have a gz with a aftermarket vetter fairing. if the side covers say gs1100g its a gz if it has gs1100gk it a gk. the gk is the only one that came with a stock fairing. ether way u can take it off but the gk has different forks and would require custom ears. if its a gz then u can get the whole set up from a different bike and bolt it on. the head light dose have a rats nest of wires in it that you will have to stuff in. the best way to do this is to see the bike the head light is coming off of but its not hard

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
            is this a gs1100gz or a gs1100gk. do you have any pics. most likely you have a gz with a aftermarket vetter fairing. if the side covers say gs1100g its a gz if it has gs1100gk it a gk. the gk is the only one that came with a stock fairing. ether way u can take it off but the gk has different forks and would require custom ears. if its a gz then u can get the whole set up from a different bike and bolt it on. the head light dose have a rats nest of wires in it that you will have to stuff in. the best way to do this is to see the bike the head light is coming off of but its not hard
            he's actually got a 750l.. the oritional post is from 2005.. and to answer your question.. yes, the signals also attach to the headlamp ears.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I probably should have posted a new thread.

Comment

Working...
              X