Head & Cylinders need cleaning? read on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head & Cylinders need cleaning? read on

If your aluminum head/cylinders are looking the worst, Go to Walmart, and get "OFF, oven cleaner" The spray kind, ENGINE COLD, spray it on, maybe even rub it in a bit with a paintbrush, it will go frothy, that means its working, wait about 2-3 mins and simply wash off with water....

I can vouch for that Phil, I have done it and it works.

Comment

Is that stuff safe for paint, plastic, rubber, etc.? Would one try this on an assembled motorcycle or is this just something you might do with parts?

What kind of finish do you end up with? Should I neutralize the Easy Off with something afterwards? Am I going to need a HazMat suit?

You can see I have a burning curiosity about this.

My bike's engine is incredibly nasty-looking, so anything short of dissolving the whole thing would be an improvement.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, just want to make sure this isn't gonna eat away anything important, ya know?

Comment

Does'nt this turn your aluminum a dark/grey color??

Comment

It washed mine clean but I was agressive in my rinsing as I always am.

I had an area on the back of my engine where battery acid made a mess of it when the overflow tube fell off and I didn't know it. Then it got covered with goo and the whole area was next to impossible to get clean with anything I tried. I used oven cleaner (forget which brand, just something cheap) and I was carefull to wrap my frame and all other parts I didn't want overspray on first then I gobbed her up and let it soak about 45 minutes. Then I power rinsed it which means hooking my garden hose up to the hot water spigot at the washing machine and rinsing her down. I then took off all the wraps and rinsed some more. Then I got in there and towel dried. It did a great job and no damage to anything.

I would suspect it could be dangerous if you are not as paranoid about doing things as I am. I withdraw my statement about it being a good idea and will only state that it worked good for me the way I did it.

I would think small quantities sprayed into a bowl and toothbrushed on like Phil said would be much safer.

There are reviews on the board here that report much safer products made for this purpose and some of the guys on here say they work great.

Here is the one I am going to try next as we didn't bead blast the lower half of my engine :roll:

Not sure why that was missed :x

Check this thread out:

Comment

Taht stuff eats aluminum IIRC.. so don't do it every week.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I posted a question in the S100 Engine Brightener thread...about my own bike and this product. I'm not sure if my engine was originally black or not. Many of the parts ARE a very dull grey, but I thought it was just faded aluminum or something. What should I use for my bike to brighten up the engine/header/misc. parts? I'm afraid to try the oven cleaner idea right now...being new to all of this, and not knowing exactly what's safe and what's not.

Here's a pic of my bike, and maybe you can get an idea of what exactly I'm dealing with:

While I'm at it...any tips on how to get off some thick/tough rust on the header right where the pipes come out?

Comment

Working...
                X