Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Powdercoating...

...as in, how do I?

The frame on my bike has been powdercoated, and the painter neglected to mask off the serial number: result, they won't complete the inspection without being able to read the ser # and told me if the cops pulled me over in that shape, it would be instant seizure!

So, would thinner be enough, or would I have to go with acid? What about a wire wheel, or would that remove the serial number itself?

That's a tough one. Do you mean the little tag stuck to the frame, or the stamped number on the headset? My bike has a thin, metal-ish tag stuck to it. That would problably be destroyed by anything that would remove powder coat. Thinner will most likely not do anything to powder coat. Even bead blasting sometimes has a hard time taking it off. Kinda depends on how well it bonded.

Comment

According to Caswell Products, VHT Paint Stripper will remove Powder coating.

Comment

I've been wondering about strippers vs. powder. Good to know.

Comment

powder coating

i am having a nightmare with powder coating. you cant dip it in acid as the acid may leak into the frame.paint stripper,heatguns and blow torches will NOT shift the stuff.the only way is to have it blasted and it needs about 3 hard blasts to sort it. hope you sort it tho and if you find a stipper that works,tell me and i will pass it on!

Comment

Another thing to watch on powder paint is that there's three types: urethane, polyester and epoxy. Stripping methods most likely vary between them. I can only imagine that epoxy is pretty resistant to even severe solvents.

Comment

Instead of removing the powdercoat, couldn't you just get an alphanumeric die set and stamp the serial number in the correct place?

- Tony

Comment

get some 100 grit sand paper or finer, mask off the area you want to remove. sand the area with the numbers. use a pick to remove the paint build up from the inside of the numbers that are stamped it. then repaint with the same collor of paint as the powerd coating.

tip: befor having any parts powder coated mask off all serial numbers.

I have seen powder coating cover some nasty welds and deep stamped numbers. to ware you could not tell thay were there.

Comment

Working...
                X