Wheel color and what finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel color and what finish

I am about to replace my back tire and I want to repaint the black. I have a 83 GS1100L. Does anyone know if the paint was shiny, satin or flat black when it was new. The front has a satin finish to it but that could be from 23 years of age.

I would say the original color was a satin dark charcoal. Very thin paint.
    I re-did my wheels on my '79 GS1000E. I had the center areas (that were dark) powdercoated gloss black and the outer areas and the sides of the spokes highly polished. Really gives the bike some flash in my opinion. If you want to see them up close, go to my website and browse my photo secton. Just click the WWW symbol below.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was thinking about shiny black also. I did not see the WWW at the bottom of your reply. Repost if you would so I can see yours.

Comment

The www is in the bar below your signature line. Next to the PM and Profile buttons.

Comment

Isnt the word BLING
          I dont know Im no longer a kid....and out of date, My GFs kids think Im really old, and I thought I wasnt
          Life sucks

Comment

Originally posted by gcraig
            I was thinking about shiny black also. I did not see the WWW at the bottom of your reply. Repost if you would so I can see yours.
            See the WWW symbol with the little house, at the bottom of my post?
            Paint will chip in my opinion. Powdercoating is a lot tougher. You'll have to remove the bearings to powdercoat. Either way, you can still see what it looks like. The wheels actually look better in person. Didn't cost that much. To polish off the original machined finish, then mask and powdercoat, was around $140/ea. I keep the finish with drill mounted buffs.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Da I should have seen it before. I looked at your bike Looks great. How did you find a place to powercoat your wheels. I'm in Texas and I have tried to find some one near by but can not find a place.

Comment

Originally posted by gcraig
                Da I should have seen it before. I looked at your bike Looks great. How did you find a place to powercoat your wheels. I'm in Texas and I have tried to find some one near by but can not find a place.
                My work takes me all over the So.Cal area. I saw some places just driving around. I went in and asked to see their work.

Comment

Where are you in Texas?

Comment

I am in Lufkin about 120 miles north of Houston on Hwy 59. I think I have decided to go with the Gloss Black with a clear on top.

Comment

Allied Powder Coating
                      6010 St. Augustine
                      Houston, TX 77021
                      Phone: (713) 741-9779
                      Fax: (713) 741-9055

Bluebonnet Powder Coatings
                      13638 Reeveston
                      Houston, TX 77039
                      Phone: (281) 442-0462
                      Fax: (281) 442-3359

Gulf Coast Coatings, Inc.
                      10535 Pineland
                      Houston, TX 77044
                      Phone: (281) 459-1081
                      Fax: (281) 459-1083

Hitemco Southwest
                      6421 Lozano
                      Houston, TX
                      Phone: (713) 466-9655

Powder Coating Southwest
                      228 W. Lorino
                      Houston, TX
                      Phone: (713) 447-5078

Quality Product Finishing, Inc.
                      9610 Fairbanks N. Houston Rd.
                      Houston, TX 77064
                      Phone: (713) 469-6970
                      Fax: (713) 890-5842

S&S Technology
                      10625 Telge Road
                      Houston, TX 77095
                      Phone: (281) 815-1498
                      Fax: (281) 815-1442

This'll get you started....

Don't forget to join us in the Hill Country this fall!

Comment

Thanks for the list. I have sent some e-mails to see if they can tell me about what the cost will be.

When is the Hill Countrty Fall Event.

Comment

We haven't decided yet. Watch the GS meetingplace forum for an announcement. It should be posted in a month or two. We will try to pick a date that is convenient for everyone interested, so it takes a while to hammer out the details...

Good luck with the wheels. 8)

Comment

wheel refurb

hi all, i have just finished my wheels. i am doing a 1000s back to showroom condition. i think Keiths bike looks awesome but i needed an origional look. i had the wheels blasted to remove powder coat, then i had paint mixed to the origional colour via photos. i sprayed the wheels and then spent approx 10hrs with a flap wheel and polishing mops to finish the job off.total cost inc made up aerosol 43quid. thats approx $90 and a lot of hard work. the wheels look like they have come out the crate. as i keep saying, when the bike is finished,all will be revealed step by step with help from Robinjo and his web site.

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                              Isnt the word BLING
                              You don't have to use those silly words unless you wear your hat backwards, listen to rap, and ride a skateboard.
                              I refuse. [-X
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                              X