adjusting breaklight engagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting breaklight engagement

I need to adjust it so the breaklights come on sooner. The only time my breaklight makes an appearance is when I really lay down on the pedal or the lever. Normal breaking doesn't trigger it. Where are the adjustments?

Well on my bike('84 GS750EF) on the front there are two screws and a connector plate that you can slide back and forth. You loosen the screws, then slide the plate closer to the lever and the brake light comes on earlier, away later. Adjust it then tighten the screws again. Cheesy but it works. On the back there is an adjuster nut. Look at the front underneath the lever and you should see a lead wire coming from where the lever goes into the right handlebar controls(starter button, kill switch, etc.) I think that would be a good place to look. It's slightly different for each bike. Maybe get a clymer guide? On the back you should see an aditional little arm that connects to a switch. There should be some sort of locking and adjusting nuts to adjust. If you can figure it out I'm sure a bike shop will do it cheap. Best not to fool around if you can't do it. It's a very quick job.

Comment

Originally posted by chrissinc
      Well on my bike('84 GS750EF) on the front there are two screws and a connector plate that you can slide back and forth. You loosen the screws, then slide the plate closer to the lever and the brake light comes on earlier, away later. Adjust it then tighten the screws again. Cheesy but it works. On the back there is an adjuster nut. Look at the front underneath the lever and you should see a lead wire coming from where the lever goes into the right handlebar controls(starter button, kill switch, etc.) I think that would be a good place to look. It's slightly different for each bike. Maybe get a clymer guide? On the back you should see an aditional little arm that connects to a switch. There should be some sort of locking and adjusting nuts to adjust. If you can figure it out I'm sure a bike shop will do it cheap. Best not to fool around if you can't do it. It's a very quick job.

sweet, I'll check it tomorrow and tighten it up. Having no breaklights is a bad idea on a bike 8)

Comment

OK, the front, I found the plate you were talking about. There is a plastic spacer and that was cracked. I pulled it off and the "switch" that was under the plate was broke. It was also corroded and it was sticking. I'll have to get those parts new, I just hope the local Suzuki dealer will have them. The rear has a spring hooked to it and it runs up by the battery case where it "pulls" the breaklights on. I'm guessing over time the spring stretched out. I grabbed some plyers and tried to tighten the spring as much as I could and it seems to work a lot better now.

recap-no front break lights, rear brake light working good now. Is the Suzuki dealership gonna have the parts i need?

Comment

Maybe but www.bikebandit.com does. Use 83-86 GS750es it's the same switch. You could also try repairing it. Mine was a little corrroded too but I cleaned it up and it works fine now.

IN fact here it is for your bike. These guys ship fast

Comment

I went to the local dealership and ordered the stuff I needed. It ended up being 13 bucks. More than I wanted, but I wanted it to be safe and correctly working. It should be in at the beginning of next week. 8)

Comment

Working...
            X