Removing Chorme from Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Chorme from Pipes

What is the best way to clean the chrome of the exhaust pipes. Never done this. Should I use sandpaper, grinder or a belt sander. And also what grit should be used. I'm going to paint the pipes with BarBQ black paint up to the chrome shield and leave the rest chrome. So the front half will be painted. They have a lot of surface rust; so a lot of the chrome is gone.

start with a heavy grit and then go to a light. I would stay away from sanders and grinders as they tend to make some pretty deep marks that will leave you sanding by hand for a while.

Comment

Just my 2 bits, but I think sandblasting is the easiest way to go.

Did just what you are suggesting to our now departed 1000L, sandblasted the head pipes and painted them flatblack with the VHT 1200* high heat paint. They make a 550* and a 1200*, should use the higher temp stuff on exhaust.

While at it, the mufflers were replaced with a pair of Jardines. The outcome looked great at a fraction of the cost of a new system. 8)

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I found a guy that will sandblast them for about 20.00. And I found a webpage that has colored pipe wrape. Here is the link to the site http://www.ozcustoms.com/header_wrap.htm Thier black is black not a gray look to it.

Comment

Working...
        X