Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sargent "ready-fit" seat cover for my GS1100GL

Hi..

Over the past two evenings, I replaced my falling-apart original Suzuki seat cover with a Sargent "custom-fit" seat cover that I mail-ordered last year but never got around to putting it on the seat.

First, a word about the original Suzuki cover. It's a quality piece, it's a shame these things eventually fall apart and aren't available from Suzuki. The fit and finish is very good, and there's a stiff wire inside the lower edge that made it easy to install way-back-when. The fit of the cover over the seat foam was top-notch. The big grommet that allows the seat lock to poke through in the back looks to be a custom part, though the interior diameter is 1", so replacement or re-bending it into place looks possible.

The custom fit of the Sargent cover wasn't very good. They claimed it would fit my seat pan, but it was a little too big in some places (around the nose of the seat, along the rear lower edge, and along the bottom edge of the rear seat), and a bit too small in others (there's a straight edge at the front lower edge of the rear seat where there should be a curve instead, and this gave me no end of trouble). I don't think any seat-cover supplier includes the big grommet...

When I was working on the critical part of the seat at the lower edge between the front and rear sections, I really had to fight to get the just-too-small part of the cover pulled tight enough over the top of the foam to be able to hook it onto the prongs on the bottom of the seat, even after heating with a hairdryer. On the other hand, I know that my cover is on tight. I currently have the big grommet from the original cover half-installed (it's not tight on the vinyl, and it's mostly held in place by its prongs).

The sales staff at Sargent was a pleasure to deal with, and it's my fault for not trying to install the new cover within the original return period. I am amused that Sargent calls the sheet of thin plastic they send you a "moisture barrier".

Sometime when I have a bit of mad money, I will probably order a new replacement seat cover from B and H Specialties at https://www.motorcycleseatcovers.com. They have a photo of their seat cover for the '83 GS1100GL which has the correct OEM-style stitching pattern (the Sargent cover has parallel grooves running crosswise instead).

For what it's worth, the cover did finally go on, and my seat looks pretty good (though not quite correct with the different pattern), and it was fine and comfy on an hour's test ride. (I promise, someday I'll borrow a digital camera and take some pictures...)

I absolutely love my Sargent cover. It updates the look of the bike quite a bit IMHO. It was easy to install and fits awesome. It's more comfortable in the summer due to the textured pattern. Love it.

Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro -- your seat cover looks very good (and I really need to take photos of the one I put on; it looks good on the bike and will work well for now).

I should be specific here: Sargent was great to do business with, and everyone else I know who has bought their products/services has been happy with them. It was only the cover that I ended up with that didn't fit quite right, and I would have returned it if it weren't eight months past its return/exchange date due to my own lameness... That's right, another project that was for the fall or winter not getting done until suddenly it's riding season already...

Comment

I agree with the quality of Sargent's customer service. I ordered a cover from them a couple years ago and was sent the wrong cover. They sent me a new one immediately and told me to keep the old one. I gave the old one to someone else on the forum who had a seat that looked about the same shape as the cover. While I agree that the quality isn't as good as the stock cover I think the construction and shape are good. I agree with Jethro that the Sargent cover updates the look of the bike. I added some colored welt which I think compliments the color of the bike without being too gaudy.

IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Very nice looking ride there Joe.

Comment

Wow! that's really good looking, Joe. The welting and the lettering complement each other very well -- and that blue is close to Suzuki's old racing blue. Nice...

grrr... i gotta borrow a digicam soooon... i'd buy one, but i keep having to send off for Suzuki parts for the bike and Volvo parts for the turbobrick...

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
              Wow! that's really good looking, Joe. The welting and the lettering complement each other very well -- and that blue is close to Suzuki's old racing blue. Nice...

grrr... i gotta borrow a digicam soooon... i'd buy one, but i keep having to send off for Suzuki parts for the bike and Volvo parts for the turbobrick...
              Thanks. Sargent sent me color samples so I could match the blue as close as possible. You can also make different sections of the seat different colors. For example you could make the smooth sections between the rider and passenger and/or behind the passenger different colors. I thought that would be too much color for my tastes. I'm very happy with the results.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

That is one sharp looking bike!
                Did you ever see the Kerker ad with the same color GS and a really hot girl on it?
                That ad made me have to buy a GS, and the GS got me some girls! :twisted:
                Pat
                0-1-25

Comment

Was that the ad with the 'really hot' girl laying on her back on the bike? I used to have that ad on my bedroom wall!

Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Yes sir! I had that ad until the last move. Hopefully it is stuck in a book somewhere and I will find it again.
                    Pat
                    0-1-25

Comment

If you find it could you scan it for me? PLEASE??????
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

No problem.
                        Pat
                        0-1-25

Comment

Working...
                        X