New to the Group, heres my project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Group, heres my project bike

Hey everyone, new to the board here, thought I'd start right out with my bike, the first pic is when I got it, 200 bucks got me most of a gs750, with a 650 tempter monoswingarm bastardized to the back...heres what it looked like when I got it home........as a testament to how good the motors must be in these bikes, I must add......it ran like this......

this is where its at now, I hand built the new frame, and did all the sheet metal fab, needs a few bits and pieces here and there, controls, wiring, and paint, and a cool sissy bar Im fabbing up now, and itll be ready to go, may even jockey shift it, not for sure yet, but anyways, hope you guys dig it.....

Comment

dude that looks sweet! not bad at all

I dunno, you've probably already thought of this, but the header really needs to be painted or wrapped. I bet it would look sweet wrapped, lasts better than paint anyways.

Comment

very nice. 8) About how much do you have into the project?

Comment

Yeah Im gonna wrap the headers......as for how much into it.....eh, hard to tell....... 200 for the bike, bout 120 bucks worth of DOM for the frame, maybe 25 bucks worth of 16 gauge sheet metal, most of the parts were salvage from my parts pile (wheels bars etc....) the front end is gs750 stock..............Id say still less then 500 bucks in this bike so far. glad you guys like it, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eve9d9
            Yeah Im gonna wrap the headers......as for how much into it.....eh, hard to tell....... 200 for the bike, bout 120 bucks worth of DOM for the frame, maybe 25 bucks worth of 16 gauge sheet metal, most of the parts were salvage from my parts pile (wheels bars etc....) the front end is gs750 stock..............Id say still less then 500 bucks in this bike so far. glad you guys like it, thanks!
            Thats pretty much just what I want out of my GS450L just I want drag bars instead of apehangers. I don't have a welder or the skill to do the frame so I'm afraid if I take it to a chopper shop I'ts gonna be more than its worth to do. I may just wait on e-bay and find something else thats already done 8)

Comment

frames are tricky things, this is only my 3rd one, but by far the best, and Id like to do alot more in the future (someday Ill do my stock suzi gn400x you can see it in the background of the one pic above) theres not only builder issues, but insurance issues, and legality issues.......youre kinda taking alot of risk by riding a homemade frame, youre right almost better to find one premade at least then if nothing else you can claim ignorance. Im not sure Im gonna stick with the apes either, they are illegal here in ohio, and Id like this one not to draw too much attention, well I should specify apes themselves arent illegal per say, but theres a limit of space between your hands and your seat....cant be anymore than 14 inches, sucks huh?

Comment

Looks pretty neat, but to me, somehow the exhaust just looks wrong. My 2 cents worth. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Welcome to the GSR,
                  I can tell from the pix you're gonna fit in real well here.
                  Love the chop job - square headlights and the red walls 8)
                  You should post the pix on the ratbikes site too!
                  I see you're in Ohio -- I'm just south of Cleveland.

Comment

ahhhhh, the exhaust, my original plan was to chop the big sporty racey baffle off, and just do a big slash cut pipe, but for some ungodly reason Ive become attached to it the way it is, mostly cause the baffle has a big plate on it, that says "not for road use" how much fun is that? I m gonna reroute it though....its scary low the way it is EZ thanks for the welcome, Im up near Toledo! sissy bar went on today, when I get a chance ill update the pics

Comment

Working...
                    X