Keep it Original or Modify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep it Original or Modify

hey all, here is my choice I have 79 GS 1000 L, someone already put a luggage rack & tool box or helmet box the rear view mirrors are not original ether, the paint is like someone used a spray can (really)
    however, the parts that are original are in fair to very good shape.
    I would like to get the paint back to original color and I would need decals.
    I am again new to this bike but feel as though this Bike has a whole lot of potential. also a lot of polishing (a lot) right now it is Black the Chrome is dull, basically needs to be detailed here is the really cool part of all No Visible Rust some surface nothing still wool or light abrasive any suggestions??? BTW I have went through all the pages looking for my exact bike with both sides 1. Original 2. Modified no 79 gs 1000 L series. :roll:

Actually it's what you want! I am going to give my 700e a rad paint job, get some free chromeing done on all the covers, a new seat cover , some carbon fiber acc. and new lights.... it's all what you want it to look like. mine would need a good restoration to make it"original looking" so I figure why bother.. it's still going to be my GS and the way I want it.

Jim

Comment

There are decal-makers who make the accent lines you're looking for, but I'm not sure if they'll have the patterns for your particular bike. There are many dealers on the 'net, so it's a matter of long searching. You're lucky, your year didn't use two-tone paint. If you can't get the decals, you can also have the lines hand-painted, but that's gonna be tough on the wallet.

What color was it originally?

Some of the stock Suzuki colors appear to be used elsewhere, like the dark purple-red that's the primary color of my GS1100GL, which was also used by Chrysler with a different paint code.

For example, using the color charts in the parts diagram section at www.alpha-sports.com, where they included the paint charts, my bike's original paint colors are Candy Royal Maroon (main color, Suzuki code 14A) and Salmon Red Metallic (accent color, code 12N). Chrysler calls my Candy Royal Maroon by the name Deep Garnet Red Metallic, with code PVR.

Using the color charts found at alpha-sports, the '70 1000L's came in the following colors:
      Black (code 019)
      Candy Imperial Maroon (code 05L)
      Starburst Blue (code 09Z)

(I do notice that the names of the maroon colors are very close, and they may actually be the same color in different years.)

There's a picture of a '79 GS1000L on the main GS Resources site page in the maroon color (though its paint looks like it may be a bit faded):

Finding original paint codes can take some detective work, but it's nice to have the Internet to help...

Are you thinking of having a shop do the paint?

Comment

Original or Modify

Hey you both have great points and I feel as long as it doesn't take away from the great look of the bike I may do a bit of both your ideas and keep it original with a twist maybe a different color (since it looks like crap now) I will focus on a minor paint and go from there thanks for the color chart and different codes.
        thanks for the suggestion on yeah it is my GS and as long as I like it what does it matter, However, I am going to stay on the conservative side and only modify a bit since it has not been changed much except the Crappy paint, mirrors & luggage box.
        again thanks for the suggestions and I will use this forum to keep you guys up on my progress.
        David 8)
        BTW Happy Fathers Day to all it may imply

Comment

Working...
        X