Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a volusia or other late model cruiser tank on a GS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a volusia or other late model cruiser tank on a GS??

Has anyone out there in GSR land ever tried using a gas tank from one of the later model cruisers on a GS. Some of the models I think would look nice if they could be made to fit.
    Let's hear your stories. Some of the newer tanks can be had at a pretty good bargain.

That sounds like a bit of a stretch, Even if it did fit over the frame in an acceptible fashion, you would almost certainly have to fabricate your own tank mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by sagent
      That sounds like a bit of a stretch, Even if it did fit over the frame in an acceptible fashion, you would almost certainly have to fabricate your own tank mounts.
      Yer prolly right. I'm thinking the best way to check this would be to take the bike to a MC junk yard and see if other tanks might fit. If they were the right dimensions, one could get creative with it by welding on tabs or something like that. My thinking is that it could give the bike a nice custom look and possible add some needed fuel capacity.

Comment

Not sure about the Volusia, but alot of the new bikes just have tank skins for looks. The real fuel tank is usually under the seat down low these days.

Comment

im thinking about fitting a GS550 tank to my GS850, i think it will probably fit pretty well, not sure tho

btw, you can easly make fab up some tank mounts, thats simple sheet metal stuff.

Comment

Even the simple sheetmetal work is advanced for me. I don't have a welder :?
            You may have to do some mods to get a 550L tank to fit an 850 or larger GL model. I had one seller send me the dimensions and they're about 3" shorter than the 850/1000L tank. Can't speak to the 500 G.

Comment

You could fabricate mounts for this one easy enough.

Comment

Seriously though I don't think that will work out too well. What GS tank do you need? They are not too aweful hard to find with a little searching.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Comment

Seriously though I don't think that will work out too well. What GS tank do you need? They are not too aweful hard to find with a little searching.
                    I am looking for one to fit my 1982 GS 850L. I have a bid on one on ebay right now but I've seem some of these later tanks from newer Suzuki's and it got me thinking

Comment

Originally posted by EZ OUT
                      I am looking for one to fit my 1982 GS 850L. I have a bid on one on ebay right now but I've seem some of these later tanks from newer Suzuki's and it got me thinking
                      Yeah I follow you. Well I hope you can win the one on eBay for a good price.
                      I mean, you can do anything so long as your not afraid of the work that follows.
                      A stock tank of course is going to be the easiest route. Other than that, the
                      sky is the limit man.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ OUT

Catchy ain't it? It is both practical and functional. Plus it makes a statement.

Comment

Well,
                          guess I chickened out and scored a pretty nice blue GSL tank on Ebay. $20.00 plus shipping. Will need to paint it eventually. My bike has the same color scheme as this month's bike of the month. After my little biff in WVA, doubt it will ever look like that again, sigh but I can always get it painted when the riding season is over.

Comment

Rock on! That is a good price for any useable tank man

Comment

Rock on! That is a good price for any useable tank man
                              Yeah - guys says it's pretty clean inside. Even if I have to treat it, still worth it I saw one go for $102 plus shipping last week. But it had the sender and cap. I already have those.

Comment

Working...
                              X