bad powder coating on a cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad powder coating on a cover

I got a stator cover off of ebay last year which has a bad powder coating job on it, gray. That is wearing off in spots. Anyone know how to remove this coating short of sandblasting? I?d like to get it down to the original aluminum so I can paint, polish of coat.

Powdercoating can be a serious b*tch to remove. Sandblasting will do it, but will possibly destroy the cover. Bead blasting might do okay, depending on the quality of the paint and how well it's adhered. Paint strippers may work on some types of powder, but some are pretty impervious to it.

I'd say throw it in a bead blasting cabinet if you have access to one. Otherwise, try a good paint stripper. My favorite is Tal-Strip. I think I see a lot of hand-sanding in your future though :?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcello Rupelli
      I think I see a lot of hand-sanding in your future though :?
      I think you are right.

Comment

I'd go to a powdercoating website. I'm sure they'll mention what's the best way to remove it.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Try using VHT Fast Stripper, it is the recommended stripper for powder coats and epoxies.

Comment

Well I tried every chemical I could get my hands on and nothing worked. So I got out the old elbow grease, it looks pretty good. Now all I need is the stator and R/R from bikebandit to finish the job.

Comment

Working...
            X