Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emeraldcoupe View Post
    so any progress?

A little. Builder stopped by on Friday and we got the oil pressure situation (Check post in Tech section) sorted out. However, another bug has creeped up on us. No spark!!

Did a little bit of trouble shooting, but then other plans came up and we had to leave it at that. So, Saturday morning I started in on the issue.

Swapped the igniter from the 650 onto the 550, no dice, same thing still no spark. Measured coils, hmm.. infinite resistance. Swapped coils from the 650 on (somewhere in there I also pulled the headlight out) and bolted them on, however didn't realize till about a min later that I didn't hook up the 2/3 plug caps , and it fired up (and ran on two cylindars..). WooHoo..

Buttoned everything back up, including the headlight, pull it out of the garage.. No spark yet again. Did some more trouble shooting, but didn't come to any good conclusion, and it was time to stop for the day (or have a very upset wife).

So, thinking about it, it seems that the only common denomiator is the headlight. So, I'm going to have to dig in there to see if there is something being pushed on that is causing spark to not happen. (oh, BTW between the builders house and my house the headlight did change to the proper one which can now be adjusted properly, which also puts the headlight about 1/4 inch further into the bucket, which would explain why it ran at his place and not mine).

Anyway, I probably won't get to digging into it til this Friday, but it is getting closer.

No pics at this time as it really hasn't changed in apperance at all.

Amos

ps, Looking for a pair of coils so I can get the 650 back to running shape now.. (it just never ends)

Comment

Here is about the last update

She is done, and legal.

After fussing around with wiring some, I got her to start reliably. Listen folks, clean those connections!!!

Anyway Last pic:

It's 36 degrees outside and WINDY, but the sun is out. So once I got her starting reliably, I threw on my gear and pulled her out. Did a small lap around the block, as the clutch was horribly adjusted, IE I couldn't get her above 25 barely. Adjusted that and chased the idle down a little, I need to work on this more, and she probably really needs a vacume sync before it's all said and done.

So with the clutch adjusted to at least be able to get out of my own way, I started the illegal run to get the inspection done. On the way there the bike just didn't seem to want to give anything above 5000 rpms. I was able to maintain legal speeds, but she just seemed to not get past. So I figured, I guess I'll be tracking down some issues yet, but lets at least make road riding legal. Well, on the way home she'd go up to about 7000 rpms, so, I'm thinking with some use the pads will start to grab again and work my way up.

Anyway, a HUGE thanks to the builder, without whom this project would have probably just died a long slow death. I'm sure he'll be along sometime to chime in.

Amos

Comment

A note from The Builder Dude.

I am proud to say I put Old Red back together again for Amos, I have torn down and rebuilt bikes before so I know how to do it. And I like to do things right, like repaint or polish things as they are going together.

Amos contacted me back in December and was frustrated that he was unable to find the time to at least assemble a bike that he repainted the frame for, bought a lot of parts, and still had not been able to get it rebuilt. The engine was completely disassembled, two more engines sat along side in states of disrepair, the idea of making a 650 out of a 550 had been floated at some point.

While some would wonder why I saw a chance to build a bike. I offered to get the powerplant assembled for him to get him started. Then I offered to build the rest if he helped me with some tasks like installing the engine and cleaning parts. Eventually I got it done and with the help of Doug G we had a complete bike again. Albeit one without oil pressure. That was a secondary drive gear I left out which I was unaware needed to be behind the clutch. The manual was not entirely clear on these parts and I was not there for the tear down.

It's sad to see the inspection sticker on the freshly clearcoated fork tubes, Amos and I refinished them. We mounted new tires and chain, I installed a Honda RR because his OEM developed a short internally.

I hope to try it out soon, as soon as the clutch is adjusted and the engine pulls about 5 grand, something simple I am sure.

Don't let them sit too long, put them back together. They are much too much fun to let sit in boxes.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Last of the piece puzzle is in place

Ok, I just had to give one more update.

Anyone who has looked at the pics has noticed the big old rip in the seat, well, that is now taken care of, better than I had hoped too.

Ok, so here are a couple of pictures (click for a better view):

Yes, in fact that is an original seat. Thanks to a member here who is chopping his 550T. Thanks Brian!!

Amos

Comment

Working...
          X