Bare metal frame - Rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare metal frame - Rust?

I love the look of a bare metal frame. As my frame has some rusty spots on it, I was wondering how bad it would be and if there were any precautions I could take, if I sanded the whole thing down to bare metal.

Could I treat it on some way to avoid rust? I sanded the kickstand down to bare metal months ago and there's nothing yet.

Keep in mind that this would all be done "on bike." I just think it'll be a nice contrast with the black tank and side covers.

Could I treat it on some way to avoid rust? I sanded the kickstand down to bare metal months ago and there's nothing yet.
    Well, if your kickstand is OK, then the frame will likely be OK as well. Generally, bare steel will get a thin coating of surface rust pretty quickly unless you live in a desert. You seem to have found an exception...

The best choice would be to blast the frame to clean it completely and then apply a clear powdercoat to keep it looking good. A close second would be a two part paint clear coat.

Keep in mind that this would all be done "on bike."
    In that case, your best bet would be a coat of wax to keep some of the moisture off the bare steel.

Mark

Comment

It will rust the first time you ride in the rain. Just touch up the rust spots you have now.

That way you avoid getting all that dust in your engine, your chain, your wiring connectors. I know you'll protect them/cover them but, that darn dust still has ways of getting in everyting.

Comment

Very good point.

Comment

strip the paint
          polish it up good
          have it Nickel plated

You will get bare metal look
          much more sedate than chrome and doesn't affect metals strength
          If you need to do any brazng first, use silver based instead of bronze. for some reason the bronze doesn't plate well.

-Bob

Comment

I wonder if plating can be done with everything on the bike... I was kinda under the impression that plating had to be done submerged in an electrolyte solution.....

Comment

You're impression is correct. You would have to completely strip the bike of all components.

Comment

I think I'll do the rust-correction for right now. I've got plenty to do to her and I want to ride her by spring.

Comment

Working...
                X