Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Question

I want to get a new tank for my 79' GS850 (current on is rusty and full of holes), but don't like the shape of the original at all. Are there any tanks (Suzuki or otherwise) that bolt up, or would be realatively easy to put on. I'm going for a sportier look all together, so maybe something narrower and not quite so big. I saw a picture of a GS with a Yamaha XJ550 tank, but I don't know the year. (http://www.redneckcycles.co.uk/images/max_gs850_03.jpg) Also, I want to put on a newer style seat/tail section, so if anyone knows of a combo of a tank/seat that would look good together, let me know.

I don?t have a specific answer for you, but a general answer that might solve your problem:

Ride around until your tank is near empty and you are at home with some spare fuel in a plastic fuel can in your garage.

Pull your tank off the bike and look at it from underneath and measure the width and length of the whole tank and the dimensions of the ?tunnel? under the tank that fits over the backbone of your frame.

Then fill up and go for a ride to a motorcycle salvage yard. Bring your tape measure with you. Go through the pile or shelves of the fuel tanks for sale and identify a few that have the same or similar dimensions as your tank. Then, try a few promising candidates on your bike. Just tell the salvage guy what you?re doing, and maybe run your credit card imprint or put down a cash deposit and he?ll let you go back and forth from the tank storage area to your bike.

Good luck hunting!

Comment

Now, if only my bike was in a rideable condition. (It's almost there). I'll have to try and look at some tanks on the internet, because my dad is out of town right now, and is right next to a huge bike salvage yard. I was hoping to be able to tell him what tank (or atleast a vague idea) would fit. I have to atleast measure the tunnel, as this bike's seems to be really really wide. Hopefully my dad will be able to pick somthing out without the bike next to him.

Comment

Working...
      X