Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seats

Are there any more comfortable seats available for the GS1100GL?

What's making your seat uncomfortable?

Is the foam no longer supportive? Is the shape not right for you?

I have the same bike as you, and have no problems with the seat, except that my butt does hurt after the first 150 miles or so. Some people really don't like the "step" in the middle, but I don't mind it so much.

Comment

SEATS

YOU COULD HAVE THE SEAT REDONE
      ADD SOME FOAM
      JELLPAK

THERE'S A GUY HERE IN SANFORD THAT DID MINE
      $120

Comment

Another option

Look into bead seat covers, I know it goes against the grain, hard round wooden balls does not seem to = comfort but it made a world of difference to me. I have had one for 20+ years and it is one of my better investments.

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin

I have the same bike as you, and have no problems with the seat, except that my butt does hurt after the first 150 miles or so. Some people really don't like the "step" in the middle, but I don't mind it so much.
          It's probably my 55 year old butt that's making it uncomfortable! I just get sore after 25 miles or so.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
            Originally posted by kalessin

It's probably my 55 year old butt that's making it uncomfortable! I just get sore after 25 miles or so.
            You might want to have the seat made more comfortable by replacement of the foam. There's much better upholstery foam available than what's under your seat cover. Sargent (www.sargentcycles.com) will rebuild a seat with better foam for under $250.

Comment

I sold seats for a east coast manufacturer for years and this is from their site. I blocked out the name so it's not a sales pitch...

XXXXXXX insists that every XXXXXXX seat is built to show bike quality standards. Our seats will retain their looks with no maintenance on your part--just years of comfortable riding!

XXXXXXX believes that, with a well-designed seat, there is no reason to be uncomfortable. You should always enjoy your ride--whether five miles or all day. XXXXXXX seats are meticulously designed so that the baseplate, foam and cover components combine to make the finest, most comfortable seat possible.

All seat components are hand assembled at our New England plant to give you the high quality seat that makes XXXXXXX America's choice for comfort.

Note regarding Model Specific Information:
              ? See Section 10 below for Technical FAQ listed by make and model. (Under Construction)
              ? Detailed information (including seat styles, pictures, dimensions, prices, baseplates and mounting suggestions) for your bike can be found by returning to the Home Page and clicking on your particular make and model.

4a. Baseplates

XXXXXXX seats may feature a single baseplate (both the driver?s seat and the passenger?s seat are constructed on the same, single baseplate) or a two-piece baseplate (the driver's seat is constructed on a separate baseplate from the passenger?s seat). Both of the pieces on a two-piece baseplate can be attached together for two-up riding or separated to ride as a solo seat. Some XXXXXXXg seats feature a ?two-piece look? but are actually built on a single baseplate.

XXXXXXX baseplates are constructed of either marine-grade fiberglass or steel.

Baseplates forXXXXXXX Seats for Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and Victory:

The baseplate is made of marine-grade fiberglass 3/16" thick, finished in high gloss gel coat.

All brackets are riveted in place. Exposed brackets are bright chrome plated.

Polyurethane rubber bumpers are strategically located and riveted to the baseplate to prevent it from touching the frame and fender and to minimize vibration.
              Bumpers will not crack with age and are ozone protected.

Hidden brackets have a tough,
              black epoxy powder coat finish.

The edges of all baseplates
              have a steel reinforced, impact
              absorbing vinyl edge trim to
              protect the seat cover

XXXXXXX unique internal support wings are added to the baseplate to provide maximum driver and passenger comfort. These wings support the entire width of the molded foam. This feature is found on most XXXXXXX touring seats.

The edges of all baseplates have a steel reinforced, impact absorbing vinyl edge trim to protect the seat cover.

Polyurethane bumpers are strategically located and riveted to the baseplate to prevent it from touching the frame and fender and to minimize vibration.
              XXXXXXX unique internal support wings are added to the baseplate to provide maximum driver and passenger comfort. These wings support the entire width of the molded foam. This feature is found on most XXXXXXX touring seats. Bumpers will not crack with age and are ozone protected.
              Solos with built-in driver backrests have the receiver welded and reinforced to the baseplate for strength. Foam surrounds the hardware to provide maximum comfort.

4b. Foam

All foam is compounded and molded at our New England facility. For a seat to be comfortable, "it's what's inside that counts". The most important component of comfort is the seat foam--both the quality of the foam itself and its design. Each XXXXXXX foam is formulated and cast to be soft enough for comfort and resilient enough to stand up to those "thousand-mile" days.

XXXXXXX has over 25 years of experience in compounding the right chemical mix to create the best controlled density polyurethane foam for all-day comfort. The foam has a density of approximately four pounds per cubic foot, depending on the size and thickness of the seat. The foam must then be molded to the correct shape to support your body at the best angle.

Our quality foam usually feels firmer than stock but is less firm than other aftermarket seats. It will compress enough to mold itself to your body shape within about 15 minutes of riding time--every time you ride. You do not need a "break-in" period to be comfortable. Your 100th ride will be equal to your 10,000th mile.

XXXXXXX seats are known for retaining their shape and support after years of use.

Q: What is ?split-foam? construction?
              A: The term simply refers to the look of one style of seats that has the appearance of being made from two parts (a solo seat and a passenger seat) but which is really constructed on a single baseplate. The foam for seats with this look has been split in the middle to give it a two-piece appearance.

Q: Does XXXXXXX use gel in the seats?
              A: No, XXXXXXX does not use gel in our motorcycle seats. We manufacture our seats with the very best controlled-density, polyurethane foam possible. To put it simply, gel does not compress?it just changes its shape. Foam compresses (what you need your XXXXXXX seat to do) while gel displaces (imagine a tube of toothpaste).

Gel may be suitable for a very high-pressure application in a limited area such as bicycle seats or soles of shoes. However, to be fully supported and all-day comfortable, your posterior needs and deserves the cushioning of XXXXXXX foam.

Hope this helps.

Shawn

Comment

Working...
              X