Pig Snot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Snot

Pig Snot Metal Polish doesn't impress me, would anyone have a suggestion as to a good metal polish for Aluminum and Chrome?

I've had good luck with Blue Magic and Mother's for polishing aluminum. They both take a bit of work but the end result is nice.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

A Harley rider gave me some Flitz polish that seems to do a good job of polishing both aluminum and chrome. It won't remove the old discolored clearcoat, however.

Comment

I have a related question:
        What methods are you using to polish? A rag and your hand? A polishing wheel on a mandrel in a drill? A pedestal mounted polisher?

I used to have a job in a machine shop that involved using a benchtop variable-speed motor with a huge polishing wheel on it and various grades of diamond paste to polish parts. I thought that was great, but I can't duplicate it in my apartment. Now I use a cloth and my hand with various kinds of metal polish. I can get nice results, but it takes forever. I don't have a favorite metal polish, but I'm currently using "Dri Wash 'n Guard Premium Metal Polish" from Enviro-Tech International. It was an impulse purchase at the New England Summer Nationals several years ago.

Comment

Semichrome for chrome polishing. Dab it on, rub in circles with old shirt, then wipe off. Outstanding, even removes rust freckles. For heavy rust spots on chrome, first rub with #0000 steel wool.

Comment

Polishing by hand. Gonna look into a variable speed dremel tool and apropriate bits.

Comment

I did the Dremel method, works great, but it is a serious pain for large parts or anything larger than a quarter .

I just got a bench grinder and will get polishing wheels for my winter "fun".

Comment

Simichrome polish is about the best polish I've ever used. It will make aluminum look like chrome. Lots of it on Ebay right now. Most bike shops carry it.

Comment

Shiny stuff

I have always used "Autosol" or "Mothers". No matter which one you use keep in mind that if a polishing wheel, either in a drill or bench mounted will be messy! If you are doing it in an apartment I would suggest doing it out on the balcony as the spray from the wheel is very fine and gets everywhere. If you are thinking of a bench type grinder with polishing wheels on it look for wheels of a size that will provide sufficient clearance between your part and the body of the grinder. You might want to check into making up a polisher built with a mandrel and an electric motor. A mandrel can be had for about $30 (plain bearing will be fine) and electric motors are a dime a dozen, check with any shop that does furnace work and see if you can get a used one, usually free. While you're there see if the have an old fan belt that they can throw into the deal. If you have any house construction going on around your area the plywood and 2x4 for a base are also free! Finally remember to put a "backstop" behind the wheel to help control the spray.

Comment

I have used Turtle Wax chrome polish for most of my life and love it. It works great.

Comment

I used a side grinder (hand held Makita grinder) with guard removed and a 4" polishing wheel mounted to it. Use the polishing compound that comes in sticks (came with the polishing wheel. Used it to polish the big side cover on my GS700. Worked great, and didn't have to remove it from the bike. Started with the Dremel, but it is way too small. Flitz works well too, have used it on a stainless steel gun with good results.

Comment

Working...
                      X