Fix for ugly weld seam on bottom of tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix for ugly weld seam on bottom of tank

My GS1100GLD has the typical spot welded seam around the bottom of the gas tank. Some paint had chipped off (probably from trying to adjust the mixture screws with the tank on). As a solution, I purchased some chrome (colored) door edge guards from Wally World. The brand I bought has adhesive inside the groove. If the plastic chrome is warmed a little before applying, it folows all the curves nicely. The results are even better that I anticipated. It adds a little more "trim" to the old girl.

I did the same thing with a roll of chrome edging I found ad Auto Zone. It was $10 for 18' of the stuff. It looks pretty nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo00
      I did the same thing with a roll of chrome edging I found ad Auto Zone. It was $10 for 18' of the stuff. It looks pretty nice too.
      I wish I had seen that!

Comment

Pics??

Comment

I was planning on the same but with black instead of the chrome.

Comment

Use the chrome trim on the edge of your fron fender if it's painted. Nce contrast effect. I use the stuff on all the sharp edges. It's a cheap and easy touch up.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyh750ex
              Use the chrome trim on the edge of your fron fender if it's painted. Nce contrast effect. I use the stuff on all the sharp edges. It's a cheap and easy touch up.
              I did just that to my girlfriend's Honda ACE. Add a little class to the plain fenters.

Comment

Working...
              X