Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS teardown and cleaning, some more pics.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS teardown and cleaning, some more pics.....

Well, now my GS is stripped to a rolling bare frame (with the engine still installed). I now have a good understanding of what needs to be done as far as minor repairs and generall parts clean up. The body paint is in great shape. (not enough wear to justify a total body repaint). The frame has severall lightly rusted pieces, mainly the rear fender, and T/S brackets. I am fortunate enough to have acess a high tech blast tank. What a perfect job a sandblast does to these rusted brackets. Some primer, and some Krylon semi-gloss black, and they look like brand new. Many bolts are stripped, and badly rusted and will need to be replaced. My shock bodies are rusted pretty bad too. If the shocks are in good machanical condition, I will probably repaint them flat black. The Stator and R/R have been replaced, and hacked with scotch-loc connectors into the main harnass. This is unacceptable, and I plan on butt soldering the connectors the way it should be. My tires are junk, and Have a sweet set of hi-performance Maxxis V rated C6002's. These are little known tires that perform very well and very reasonably priced. I am trying to figure out a way to get some pics posted for you guys and gals. I am looking into a personall website. Stay tuned for more progress. I have a LONG way to go.

Pur your pics on www.imageshack.us or or put them on my site.
    Good luck with the project!

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
      Pur your pics on www.imageshack.us or or put them on my site.
      Good luck with the project!
      Thanks dude! What an awesome link. I will get some pics posted ASAP.
      Rich

Comment

OK, I have some pics (sorry for the dark pics, I am no camera genuis). Bike is about 2/3rds finished as far as cleaning and polishing up. What a huge improvement cleaning, and scotch-brite pad buffing aluminum makes! I hope this works:

Here it is the day I took it home. We took this bike in trade, so I scored it for $800:

Comment

Bumping this topic folks, I got some more pics.
          Here is some updated pics of the rear wheel and brakes. I went with polished perimeter, and silver matte in place of all the black. I didn't like it just looking at the wheel, but now that it's on the bike and assembled it actually looks very nice. I am making a lot of effort to get away from all the "Black" on the GS's it's just too much for my liking. Adding the polished/brushed bare metal look really brightens up the bike. I am SOOOOOO glad I didn't buy an '83 GS1100 !!!! BLACK, BLACK, BLACK, BLACK........

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
            Bumping this topic folks, I got some more pics.
            Here is some updated pics of the rear wheel and brakes. I went with polished perimeter, and silver matte in place of all the black. I didn't like it just looking at the wheel, but now that it's on the bike and assembled it actually looks very nice. I am making a lot of effort to get away from all the "Black" on the GS's it's just too much for my liking. Adding the polished/brushed bare metal look really brightens up the bike. I am SOOOOOO glad I didn't buy an '83 GS1100 !!!! BLACK, BLACK, BLACK, BLACK........
            8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Oh come on now, don't go attacking the 83's
            Too each his own. But seriously kick ass job you are doing. Should look really nice for the spring New England GS ride 8) 8) 8)
            At least it is a 1100 :twisted: :twisted:
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Well, i've got the fron end all back together. I ended up going with aluminum matte wheels with polished perimeter. Now that the bike is going back together, I like the aluminum colored wheels. I now even have "cough/Brembo/cough" rotors!! LOL. I also finished the D&D pipe, it fits nice!

Comment

Wow, that motor looks so good.

You wanna do my bike? I need the motor and frame cleaned up.

Great!! where do I send it? :P

-Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by outofcontrol
                  Wow, that motor looks so good.

You wanna do my bike? I need the motor and frame cleaned up.

Great!! where do I send it? :P

-Kevin

Kevin,
                  If you can convince my wife to have ANOTHER GS in my basement, I will spiff your ride for NOTHING !!!!!!!

BTW you do have health insurance right?

Comment

Well, i've got the fron end all back together. I ended up going with aluminum matte wheels with polished perimeter. Now that the bike is going back together, I like the aluminum colored wheels. I now even have "cough/Brembo/cough" rotors!! LOL. I also finished the D&D pipe, it fits nice!

I think I'm gonna do my wheels like that after seeing how yours turned out. Very nice indeed!

Comment

I am all about the black 83's. After owning an 83, the silver engine and pipes look so dated to me. Plus, the rims on the 83 are way better looking 8)
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

[quote="8trackmind"]

I think I'm gonna do my wheels like that after seeing how yours turned out. Very nice indeed!
                        He actually replicated the stock Katana wheel colors! But they look good indeed.

Comment

It's lookin really good mate. Keep at it man

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                            I am all about the black 83's. After owning an 83, the silver engine and pipes look so dated to me. Plus, the rims on the 83 are way better looking 8)
                            I too am a little bias, but Jethro said it all 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

JEEZUS !!!!! You "Pro-Black" guys are killing me!!! To each his own, thats the bottom line...

Atually you "BLACK" guys should be patting me on the back, as if you look closely in one of my final pics, there is a few components that were "other than black", that are now black. What are they?

Comment

Working...
                              X