79 GS750L Winter Project...Dial-up warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750L Winter Project...Dial-up warning

I started my GS rebuild about this time last year but with home remodeling starting about the same time I had to put the GS off for awhile. Here is where I am now, I've got a sportster rear fender sportster seat (had to reshape the front to fit into the rear of the tank) and lowering shocks that are not yet on the bike. I've been mocking-up the fender and seat for a perfect fit and will sandblast the frame soon for paint. I'm rebuilding the engine and as soon as I'm done with that I'll start back on the frame. A couple of things that I'll do is cut-down and round off the 2 rear frame spars to blend in with the fender and with the lowering shocks it will put the fender down closer to the rear tire but still have plenty of room for suspension travel. Please give your opinions on what color the paint the bike or anything you would do differently. I know it will look similar to a Hardley but it is an L model after all

Todd

I just want to say that it is looking awesome. I think the fender and seat really adds to the bike. I was wondering though what size, and or brand lowering shocks are you planning on using? Also is that the stock tank? I would like to know what model and year that tank is. I like the center placement of the round gas cap, really looks clean. Good work, keep it up.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment! The tank is a stock 79GS750L tank and the shocks were an ebay special. They are a little over 1" shorter, I cant remember the brand but I can check when I get home. I was thinking about fabbing some foward controls also but thats coming later.

Todd

Comment

Giving me ideas on my own rebuild of a GS850. What seat is that on the bike and did you have much modifications to make it fit??

Comment

The seat is off a late model Harley Sportster 1200, I had to cut some of the foam where the seat fits under the gas tank to fit. I had a sinking feeling when I took the cover off the seat to trim the foam but luckily it turned out OK. The seat pan actually contours over the frame and the gas tank holds it in place up front but the rear will be bolted to the rear fender.

Todd

Comment

Chopper

I just wanted to let you know that there is a website for guys like us.

If you do a search for GS you will find several custom bikes, as well as extra parts. I got a good deal on a Sportster badlander seat. It is lower and I am hoping I will not have to cut any out of it. I also found a really good deal on a rear fender, without the taillight hole. I am going to try and make a flush mount LED taillight for it. Should be a fun project, of curse it may be a while as my bike is in the US and I am in Japan for the next year lol. Keep us updated on your project.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later.

Todd

Comment

I'm surprized to see you have an L model Todd? Just goes to show you don't know people by just meeting them once

I like what you've done to it though. Looks sharp, and fun

Are you thinking about bringing it to the NC rally next year?

Comment

Thanks Hoom,

I'll have to trailer it if I do bring it, I just finished rebuilding the engine and by the time I get the frame sand-blasted, welded, painted and engine back in the frame I wont have enough riding time on the newly rebuilt engine to trust riding it that far. I'll probably end up riding the CBR this time and take the GS to the 2007 SE rally. Besides, I would like to at least keep up with you guys on the Dragon

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by ToddB3
                    I would like to at least keep up with you guys on the Dragon

Todd
                    I'll be on a 30 year old GS buddy. Shouldn't be a problem

Comment

Working...
                    X