socket head capscrews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

socket head capscrews

We probably all have seen these advertised on ebay for something like $20. I thought that seemed a little high so I stopped by Colorado Fastener on the way home tonight. Bought all the sizes I needed for my 78 GS1000 for about $10. They aren't polished but look fine to me and are easily polished if you are so inclined. If anyone cannot find these locally I would be willing to send you a set for cost plus shipping. For other models you would need to get me a list of the sizes needed. I don't know about you, but I don't like to get ripped off on over the counter, commercially available items like these. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Are those stainless? What sizes and quantities did you get?

/\/\ac

Comment

Yep.there are a lot of ripoffs out there.I remember a 1983 venture royale i had.I needed a thermostat,Yamaha wanted 46.00 dollars.NAPA had the same one for a nicar for $3.29.I went back to the yamaha dealer and showed him and his response was "well,that's just what they cost,you ought to be glad it wasnt a Goldwing, theirs is $70.00.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
        Yep.there are a lot of ripoffs out there.I remember a 1983 venture royale i had.I needed a thermostat,Yamaha wanted 46.00 dollars.NAPA had the same one for a nicar for $3.29.I went back to the yamaha dealer and showed him and his response was "well,that's just what they cost,you ought to be glad it wasnt a Goldwing, theirs is $70.00.

Same deal with the Honda CX500 I'm restoring....thermostat from Honda
        MC dealer is $25.00. The CX uses the same thermostat thats in a 78'
        Honda Civic....at autoparts store for $4.00

Comment

Yes, grade A2. I haven't looked up the specs for this grade but I would imagine they are probably 316ss. The quantities and sizes needed are: Points cover - 3 each 5mm x 30mm; Alternator cover - 1 each 6mm x 30mm, 3 each 6mm x 35mm, 3 each 6mm x 40mm, 2 each 6mm x 45mm; Clutch cover 7 each 6mm x 20mm, 2 each 6mm x 30mm, 1 each 6mm x 25mm, 1 each 6mm x 35mm. The sprocket cover has 1 each 6mm x 30mm, 1 each 6mm x 55mm, 1 each 6mm x 70mm, 1 each 6mm x 85mm, and 2 each 6mm x 100mm. I picked up all of these with the exception of the 85mm and 100mm sizes, they did not have them in Longmont but gave me a name of a vendor in Denver who should have them. I plan to check with them in the next few days, hopefully they will have them and price them reasonably. I'll let you know how this turns out. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

McMaster-Carr has about anything you want when it comes to hardware. No minimum order and they ship immediately.

Comment

Two Words

Bolt Depot. On line and a good selection of ss items.

Comment

Luckily there's a killer bolt selection at one HW store in Portland, but do I have to worry about using ss bolts for my engine covers? I know you don't need high grade bolts for non-stressed applications.
                Is there some worry about ss reacting with alum and welding the bolts in place?
                would locktite or antiseize prevent this?

-KM

Comment

Galding

I wouldn't hesitate to use stainless bolts in aluminum, but use antiseize compound. Also be careful if you are winding the bolt into a blind hole as you risk blowing out the hole from hydraulic pressure if you over do it with the compound. Always put the compound on the bolts, not in the hole.

Gary

Comment

I bought some shiny new SS allen head scrws for my carbs, tired of the dreaded phillips shimmy...

I ordered & bought a bag of 100 m4x10, going to get the ones (6mm) that tie the bodies together/

I di 3 of my bikes so far, and they look & perform SOOOOOO much better now
                    :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                    X