Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping the cases shiny

Hi,

I've seen several postings on using varing grits of sandpaper along with scotchbrite to get the side cases to a mirror finish. I just completed the process in the last week or so but once I washed the bike, they became dull again requiring me to use Mother's aluminum polish to be them back to the mirror finish

Has anyone gotten the finish to stay longer than one wash ? Do I need to clearcoat to maintain the finish ?

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Keeping the cases shiny

Originally posted by gs650rider
    Has anyone gotten the finish to stay longer than one wash ? Do I need to clearcoat to maintain the finish ?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I feel your pain and yes....you must use automotive hi temp clear in order to avoid having to polish it every time it gets wet/dirty. I spent a few days polishing all my stuff and the first ride I went on afterwards turned most of my work to crap. This winter I'm getting them all polished and professionally cleared. Good luck.

Comment

after you polish your parts you have to put on more than one coat of what ever you are using I use MFX from the T&A truck stops I tell people that you got to get it in the metal to make it last I am going to do a post on this

Comment

Clean the cases with lacquer thinner after polishing and then clear coat with clear engine paint. If you don't clean off he cases the silicone they add to the polish will cause teh clearcoat to turn yellow.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Good tip

Originally posted by duaneage
          Clean the cases with lacquer thinner after polishing and then clear coat with clear engine paint. If you don't clean off he cases the silicone they add to the polish will cause teh clearcoat to turn yellow.
          Thanks for the tip duaneage, just got some Eastwood Clear stuff that I am going to try on the cases.

Comment

Originally posted by drewshotrodding
            after you polish your parts you have to put on more than one coat of what ever you are using I use MFX from the T&A truck stops I tell people that you got to get it in the metal to make it last I am going to do a post on this
            What do you mean, "get it in the metal"?

Comment

Allow me to join in here.

Will using 1200 grit work on a gs 450's side cases too ?

Comment

too fine. 600 is good enough with water to keep the paper clean
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks

Here we go.

Comment

protection is easy

Hello guys
                    Once the cases have been polished to your desired finish. JUst apply 2 to 3 coats of a good quality auto paint wax, this will allow the finish to last seveal years woth only minor touch ups in between and then rewax after each touch up, YES it does work. I use Armoral past wax for painted surfaces. andmine has lasted for 2 yrs now, I will retouch them this winter.

Best of luck Archie

Comment

So how goes it Adam?

Comment

Working...
                      X