Seat too high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat too high

I'd like to put a lower seat on my '79 GS850. I've thought of cutting away some of the foam and recovering. Any better ideas out there? Only need to drop about 2 inches.

Seat chop

I wouldn't recomend messing with the seat itself. If you really need to lower the bike a bit try to find a set of shocks that are maybe 1" shorter. A "GOOD" salvage yard should be able to fix you up with the right set. The foam in most bike seats will not take kindly to being cut and you will end up with a ruined seat which will cost darn near as much to fix(properly) as a good used set of shocks.

Comment

HI

I would go for the "cutting away some of the foam and recovering"

With shorter shocks you also must lower the front to maintain the same driveability
      Lower bike also means less ground clearance.

merry x-mas

Comment

I have a corbin seat which is a few inches lower than the stockers. I also found 1 1/2 inch shorter shocks for the back. I put a smaller diameter rim on the front and now my speedo is blooey.

I just wanted to add. I'm 5' 3" tall and i can flat-foot in sneakers with a slight bend on my knees on this bike.

Comment

I'm working on lower ing the seat on mine. I got an old spare seat with a bad cover and cut the foam down to the pan. I went to that craft store and got some seat foam to build from. Right now I'm trying to make a cover. Any suggestions?
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Marine vinal (sp?) heated with hairdryer to make streaching it easier..
            then pull like mad... there is a learning curve to it but its not bad...
            buy enough material to do it 3 times.. first one you probably wont be happy with.. second one will probably do.. and you will have a supply to redo it later...

Mitch

Comment

lowering

I put a set of lowering blocks on the rear of mine. Bought them years ago from a local bike shop. They dropped my bike exactly two inches in the rear. Bolts right between the frame and the shocks. It does give it more of a hard tail ride, but thats fine when riding solo. But when the wife is on I just take them off, four bolts total and it raises it back to stock height. Pretty sweet gadget. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
              X