Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for making a GL good looking

We all know what one looks like:

That bike is identical to my 850, save the sissy bar, luggage rack, and crash bars. The color and the rest are a spittin image.

Is your bling alarm going off? The L model GSes have always left something to be desired in the looks department...unless you're into that sort of thing.

My opinion: They're too upright, too chromed, too late 70s. Not cool.

So what does one do about this? My idea:

What I did (in photoshop):

darken front fender
    darken paint on tank and side cover
    blacken the engine
    blacken the wheels
    blacken the lower forks
    drop the bike ~ 2" all around
    invert the headlight mount and drop 1.5-2"
    drop the handlebars ~ 2"
    remove chrome except the airbox and exhaust
    increase exhaust can size a la Honda Superhawk or Rune
    reshape seat to appear monoposto but be just big enough for an occasional passenger
    chop license plate, brake and rear turn signals (to be integrated behind seat)

I plan on implementing most of those ideas on my bike. Essentially all are reversible with a welder and paint stripper. The lowering would be the result of raised forks and chopped rear springs/shock mount relocation.

eh?

Personally would just take the sissy bar off and lose the rear rack.

That's a classic.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

How to make a GL good looking
      Trade it in for a GS1100E :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll:
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Oh come on people. This forum is called "Appearance Mods" for a reason. Every three days there's a new thread in here about polishing chrome, and every single one of those has gotten more airplay than this thread.

You could at least give constructive criticism about the idea or something. You'd figure an enthusiast community would have more enthusiasm about this kinda stuff. It's not like I'm chopping the neck off it, welding it to a hardtail frame and calling it a Harley.

Comment

Personally, change the bars to some drag bars/superbike bars. Get rid of the tach, speedo, and centerpiece. Get rid of the chrome all together........and add polished aluminum case covers and cam ends (I hate chrome). Either get black headers or wrap the current ones in header wrap, then get a new can(s) from a new rocket.....as long as they are polished/anodized aluminum. Get some red, blue, or yellow plug wires. Add some of those fork gators to cover the tops of the forks. And put either black shocks on the rear or some type of aftermarket ones with anodized pieces with the anodized color matching the plug wires.

That would look cool in my book, I just hate chrome, and I love polished or anodized aluminum.

However, hypothetically speaking......if I liked chrome.......that bike looks badass as is.

Comment

quite like the second bike,but id put a wider front end maybe some wide slab yokes [triple trees] 2" risers and wide straight bars,giving it an overall muscle look 8)

Comment

Cool! Good stuff so far. Keep em comin.

I am definitely considering changing the bars to something more aggressive. To be able to raise the fork up into the trees I've got two choices: Clip ons or modify a set of bars that are close to what I want. The modification would basically include hacking a handlebar into three pieces, sliding the middle piece through the clamps but chopped off at the ends to allow clearance for the trees, and the two outer pieces welded to the inner piece. That's what I'm leaning toward since for whatever reason clip-ons are a total ripoff.

EDIT: Anyone know where I can buy 2" handlebar risers for cheap?

Comment

I would just keep it a gl if it were me[img][/img][img][/img]

Comment

I like your modified pic a lot. Personally I'd blacken the headlight bucket as well, except for the rim. I'd also put some kind of "shorty" cafe-style exhaust on and maybe even leave the wheels the way they are instead of making them all black.

It's good stuff,...makes me think of maybe keeping my 750L too.

Maybe,...

Comment

Your mods look WAY better than the original. I am all for keeping a classic pristine, as long as it looked good in the first place!

Your design is begging for a flatblack gastank with flames on it.

Comment

think your on the right track here. you will need some kind of rear fender if it ever sees wet roads or you end up looking like a skunk.

Comment

I also have a GS650L that I am working on..

Here's what I have done so far:

Lowered the Front Forks.
                        Added fairing.
                        Chopped some of the rear fender off.
                        New paint both engine, tank and side covers.
                        Polished cases.
                        Recently removed grab bar and replaced with wider one of the GS750T model.

Things to do..

Work on seat.
                        New mirror on the way.
                        Etc.

-Tim

Comment

Why not shorten the fork's travel rather than slide it through the clamps?
                          It's pretty easy to shorten conventional damper rod forks with a section of pvc installed with the top-out spring.Then chop the spring off to make it stiffer. That way your fender won't slam into the bottom triple clamp when bottoming.

Comment

Originally posted by dmay
                            Why not shorten the fork's travel rather than slide it through the clamps?
                            It's pretty easy to shorten conventional damper rod forks with a section of pvc installed with the top-out spring.Then chop the spring off to make it stiffer. That way your fender won't slam into the bottom triple clamp when bottoming.
                            Eh? I've never looked into pulling the forks apart. How do you do that? These just work so well right now that it was never a thought.

Comment

It's super easy to do,when I get home from work this evening I'll send you message describing how to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X