No announcement yet.

Ideas for making a GL good looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loosen the tube clamps and slide it up a bit, just make sure they are even.

Comment

how about this?

Comment

i HATE THE STOCK EXHAUSTS ON MY 1980 GS 1000L.i WONDER IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS GREAT IDEAS FOR MODIFYING THE STOCK ONES.MY BIKE SOUNDS LIKE AN EVINRUDE MOTORBOAT WHEN IT STARTS UP.HATE THAT SOUND.DONT WANT TO SCREW UP THE BIKE BY LEANING IT OUT TOO MUCH.I LOVE THE LOOK OF THE GS THIS GUY IS WORKING ON.MORE REAR FENDER IS NEEDED IN MY OPINION.ONCE WE GET OUR FORWARD CONTROLS FINISHED, I WILL POST PICTURES AND HOPEFULLY SOME PEOPLE HERE WILL WANT SOME.WE HAVE HAD A TERRIBLY DIFFICULT TIME FINDING A MACHINIST TO MAKE THE SPLINED COUPLERS FOR US.THE PRELIMINARY PHOTOS I POSTED A COUPLE WEEKS BACK DO NOT LOOK ANYWHERE AS GOOD AS OUR FINISHED ONES WILL BE.I SEE THE RIDING POSTION AS WHEN YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR. YOUR FEET ARE COMFORTABLY IN FRON OF YOU,NOT UNDER YOU.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I like my 850l, i got it stock 1 year ago and built and painted everything myself.-darren
          check it out here-

Comment

Looks real good man and I like the comments to the hardcore GSer's. They seem to get a little freaked out when anyone does something unique to a GS.

I can agree that making it a wannabe something isn't cool but I don't think you're doing that - you're just making it yours and good on ya for it!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Great looking modifications Isaac!

Was curious as to if that is a flat black paint job? Just primer perhaps?

Did you do it yourself or take it somewhere?

Comment

I think the bike looked better before the photoshop job, but I love the L style.

The "mods" take away all the stuff that makes the bike cool.

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand lowering a bike that's going to be ridden (I like ground clearance for cornering).

And I doubt that your rattlecan black treatment of the engine will last very long (and it will look like crap without constant touch-up).

And I like to have a little bit of storage somewhere on the bike.

But then, this is what I ride everyday...

And yes, it's a 1000, not an 850 ;-)

BTW, folks, if ever you want to sell your radically modified bike, you are going to have to find a buyer with the same taste as yours. This will greatly limit the number of folks interested and almost always makes your bike worth much less than if you had left it alone.

I know that I get approached almost everytime I ride my bike as to whether I would consider selling it - the only mods I made to it are the bars, grips, mirrors, expandable bag, and seatcover. Just a thought for you to consider.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM.

Comment

don't worry

Don't worry about your "mods" Speedy, If thats what you like then go for it, Nice paint on your tank. It will take alot to keep up on the black on the motor though. I've done some "mods" on my bike over the years, but then again I've owned mine for twenty years. I've had to because I couldn't see myself getting rid of it.\\/

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage
                      Sorry, I don't understand lowering a bike that's going to be ridden (I like ground clearance for cornering).

And I doubt that your rattlecan black treatment of the engine will last very long (and it will look like crap without constant touch-up).

BTW, folks, if ever you want to sell your radically modified bike, you are going to have to find a buyer with the same taste as yours. This will greatly limit the number of folks interested and almost always makes your bike worth much less than if you had left it alone.

I know that I get approached almost everytime I ride my bike as to whether I would consider selling it - the only mods I made to it are the bars, grips, mirrors, expandable bag, and seatcover. Just a thought for you to consider.
                      99% of riders customize their bikes.finding someone that wants a customized bike should pose no problem.
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

beautiful bike tracy. i've been thinking of painting my car a similar color.

Comment

Your entitled to your own opinion, but I will say...
                          I did everything professionally, no rattle can here, professional engine high temp paint, this stuff wont flake off... I've had the paint on alreddy for almost a year, no chips, or rubbing off. As for lowering, It hugs the road just as good if not botter than stock, although it handles diffrently, it isnt worse by any meens.
                          I have back rest that I custom made to fit to slide into into the little patches on the top of the seat at the top of the step up, and I have spider web bunjee that I have strapped on enough to go on 3 day weekend rides without any problem. And finally money wise. I bought the bike stock for 800, and put about 1000 into and many hours of course. So total cost=1800. I have had over a dozen tell me they want to buy it if I ever sell it. Most offer 4-5 grand, one I had offer 6200... no joke. Tracy, I love the color, whats the color exactly? Just curious. Thanks:-D -darren
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2006, 01:56 PM.

Comment

color

Originally posted by speedy400
                            Your entitled to your own opinion, but I will say...
                            I did everything professionally, no rattle can here, professional engine high temp paint, this stuff wont flake off... I've had the paint on alreddy for almost a year, no chips, or rubbing off. As for lowering, It hugs the road just as good if not botter than stock, although it handles diffrently, it isnt worse by any meens.
                            I have back rest that I custom made to fit to slide into into the little patches on the top of the seat at the top of the step up, and I have spider web bunjee that I have strapped on enough to go on 3 day weekend rides without any problem. And finally money wise. I bought the bike stock for 800, and put about 1000 into and many hours of course. So total cost=1800. I have had over a dozen tell me they want to buy it if I ever sell it. Most offer 4-5 grand, one I had offer 6200... no joke. Tracy, I love the color, whats the color exactly? Just curious. Thanks:-D -darren
                            Thanks Darren, the color is House of Kolors ( candy tangerine with a silver base coat) it takes on a different shade depending on the light,sun or shade. It turned out pretty sweet, I'm proud of it.Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by tracy borchert
                              Thanks Darren, the color is House of Kolors ( candy tangerine with a silver base coat) it takes on a different shade depending on the light,sun or shade. It turned out pretty sweet, I'm proud of it.Thanks guys.
                              Sweet, I have the same, but blue candy. Its a pretty tough process to apply but man does it look awesome in the end. Rock on-darren

Comment

I don't think most people's top concern about their bike is it's resale value, especially those who take the extra time to personalize it to their own taste.

Keeping your bike bone stock because you love it that way is one thing..

...but if you're doing so simply due to the fact that you're concerned about it's resale value, then your concerns obviously lie more heavily on you getting rid of it someday...and you really don't seem to be too attached to it in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of buying comics as a kid...there'd be the kids who would buy their favorite comic and read it everyday, drag it with them everywhere they went, you know..actually enjoyed it....then there were the kids who'd bring them home from the store, wrap them in a plastic cover, seal them up, and store them in a safe place away from direct sunlight... because someday they could resell it.

Comment

Working...
                                X