Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exactly

Originally posted by odl777
    I think if your in it for the money thats kind of lame, i hate it when my brother and others tell me that i am stuoid for chopping my BSA. I really don't ever plan on selling the thing especially old suzy. Nice bike tracy did a great job that color is awsome.
    Thanks odl777, I agree completely with you,Thats why I have done all I have to mine.I don't plan on selling mine for a profit,I mean I've owned it for twenty-one years and I have done quite alot to it over the years.If I were to get rid of it ,it would be that I've given it to my son someday and that would be it.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by odl777
      I think if your in it for the money thats kind of lame
      Lame huh? No, I have had a LOT of bikes. Go put your baseball cards in the spokes, I don't care.

Intelligent folks want to at least be aware of the truth, and many of us like to protect our investments.

These bikes are already about 25 years old. Hw many nice ones will be around in another twenty-five years? Do what you like, I don't care. But to call being smart 'lame', well, I think I agree with your brother...

Oh, and BTW, the more guys who butcher them, the more rare the nice original ones are.

Yeah, many guys plan to keep their bikes forever. Some even turn them into coffee tables (this actually happened to a TZ700 that I tried to buy many years ago). To me, THAT'S lame...
      Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I think the only lame thing is a bike that doesn't get enjoyed,...and arguing over the best way to enjoy them.

Comment

but those kids that never played at or looked at their comic books or baseball cards never had any fun. There are MANY more important things in life than money. Actually im gonna say that money is right near the bottom of my importance list.

Comment

to rotary rodder

I agree with you rotary rodder.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Just enjoy yourself

If you want to restore and collect motorcycles then that is what you should do. If you are into customs of just a few mods go for it. I bought a very clean 80 GS850G in November of last year and just started to make some changes to it. I bought the bike to ride because I always wanted an 850G. The changes I have in mind are to make the bike more fun and to fit my style of riding. The whole point is to enjoy yourself. Then try and appreciate what other people want to do with there bikes. We are all on two wheels and that is what this sport is really all about.
              80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Well, since I've ridden my GS nearly ten thousand miles in the past eight months, I think I've enjoyed it.

And now that the nice weather is back...

My bike is not restored or bone stock, but I've only changed a few things.

And, BTW, I only paid $200 for it and I turned down $3500 for it soon after I got it on the road (it had been parked in a garage for 23 years when I got it). It's not all about the money. But I'm not foolish enough to ignore this aspect of it either...

Have you seen what an original Z-1/KZ 900 or K-0 CB 750 is worth if they are bone stock and have the original pipes? You don't think that these quarter century old bikes are going to appreciate (the well kept, original ones, anyway)?

If you customize a bike and then want to sell it, you not only have to find a buyer that wants a custom bike, they have to like your taste in customization. When it comes to selling it, I prefer to be able to return it to stock if at all possible. Most would say that this is being smart.

I had a 1200 Gold Wing that I had $500 into (bought it as a wreck), turned down $5000 soon after I got it on the road, and decided to keep it forever. After I put 300k miles on it, I sold it to a friend for what I had into it. It is now a Fiero powered trike w/ '57 Chevy sheetmetal on it, plus a ton of parts for his 1200 'Wing.

I had a '75 'Wing (mild custom) that I had $1000 into, put 35k miles on it, and then turned down $1900 for it so that I could sell it to a good friend for $1000.

I've had perhaps 300 bikes, two Sabres, twenty-five Water Buffaloes, etc. etc. I've had too many bikes to think that I will keep any of them forever.

I've had four CBXes. Rode the p*ss out of all of them and then sold each for more than I paid for them. Did this by leaving them alone!

And this is my fifth GS (two 750's, two 1000's, and an 1100).

Again, they're your bikes, do with them whatever you want. I don't care.

But it's only an idiot and a fool that can't simply accept or ignore good advise without throwing out stupid comments like that I'm lame or only in it for the money. Only a moron would make ignorant judgemental comments like that without knowing the person.

I wonder what kind of experience you bring to this discussion, huh?

Someday when and if you finally grow up, you'll understand....
                Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage
                  But if you guys insist on ignoring the advise, and instead want to get into dumb-*ss lame arguments, by all means. I'm done.

Someday when you grow up, you'll understand....
                  I've agreed with a lot of what you've said, but this was kind of a prick move. It's not about being mature or immature, it's about doing what you want with what's yours. We shouldn't be resorting to name-calling here, guys. That's the only thing lame in this thread.

I've got one bike that is bone stock, one that is only slightly modified with more aggressive shocks, lowered front and a custom paint job, and a third that is and will continue to be somewhat heavily modified. And none of them really affect anyone but myself.

Comment

But if you guys insist on ignoring the advise, and instead want to get into dumb-*ss lame arguments, by all means. I'm done. Again, they're your bikes, do with them whatever you want. I don't care.

But it's only an idiot and a fool that can't simply accept or ignore good advise without throwing out stupid comments like that I'm lame or only in it for the money. Only a moron would make ignorant judgements like that.

Someday when and if you finally grow up, you'll understand....

The last post on this topic was four days ago. Have you really been stewing over this that long? I think you're a little out of line here. :-|

Comment

I didn't read all of the posts, but it looks pretty good to me.

Yea, put a half fender on it, lower the front just a tad, paint the wheels black, and add drag bars. Just MHO.

Customizing bikes is a time honored tradition. Do what you like and let everyone else just **** into the wind.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2006, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Isaac I just stumbled onto this thread and I love the mods you have done. I have had my 850gl for 3 years now and have done nothing but change the bars (the regular bars really hurt my wrists) and paint it. I have always intended to do some minor mods but nothing as drastic as what you have done. After looking at yours though it kind of makes me wanna go crazy with it. Anyway, just wanted to say looking good and hopefully you will post the finished pictures soon.

Andy

Comment

What kind of experience

Just a little back up to my previous post. My experience with motorcycles is a 1974 Honda CB350, 1973 Kaw Mach IV, 1982 GS550M, 1984 Kaw GPZ750, and now a 1980 GS850G. Maybe not 300 Hundred bikes but no rookie. The only thing I have read that is lame is people not being able to respect other peoples likes and dislikes. Again we are all two wheels and that is what motorcycling should be all about. Anyway everbody enjoy riding and maybe I will see you on the road some day. If I do all I will care is that you are on a motorcycle.
                          80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

deal with it

But it's only an idiot and a fool that can't simply accept or ignore good advise without throwing out stupid comments like that I'm lame or only in it for the money. Only a moron would make ignorant judgemental comments like that without knowing the person.

I wonder what kind of experience you bring to this discussion, huh?

Someday when and if you finally grow up, you'll understand....(sounds like you should take your own advise?)

Comment

But if you guys insist on ignoring the advise, and instead want to get into dumb-*ss lame arguments, by all means. I'm done. Again, they're your bikes, do with them whatever you want. I don't care.

But it's only an idiot and a fool that can't simply accept or ignore good advise without throwing out stupid comments like that I'm lame or only in it for the money. Only a moron would make ignorant judgements like that.
                              Now that's funny! :mrgreen:

A fitting statement for such an occasion as this:

Arguments on the internet are just like the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.

Comment

message to issaccs

I think your bike is absolutely awesome.My gs 1000 will have a lowered front and back end,genmar risers,chamelon paint, forward controls that i have been toiling over for a long time due to machiists' screw ups repeatedly.i just waited 2 months for some couplers to be made and when i got them they were inside out from what i wanted.but, no bikes look as good to most of us until we get them the way we want.ever see a stock 57 chevy? a stock harley? a stock home? almost everything everywhere has had some customization or personalizing. i prefer to my project and changes like yours as restyling rather than customizing.my 2006 camry is stock.thats the only thing i have that isnt modified in some way.i hope you get a rear fender to keep the mud off your back though.keep up the good work.
                                future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
                                X