Ideas for making a GL good looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting closer to being finished.

A few question marks remain: Rear half-fender, or no? Black the rims or no? Black out anything else?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2006, 03:43 PM.

Comment

^im working on something similar, but I think im gonna chop off behind the shock mounts (looks like you did the same) and then build a bar going around the back connecting the sides. Then I will make a seat pan and have a seat made for it.

How did you do that seat?

Comment

I took some sheet steel, beat it into a shape that was flat on top but folded downward where the frame rails are, then formed the curved shape you see down the sides. I've got a wood block built into the back that's shaved at an angle to raise the rear of the seat up a bit. Then I stretched thick foam over the top of the stuff, then used vinyl covering to cover it. I secured the vinyl covering by cutting 'V' shaped cutouts in the bottom of the seat pan, then bending those sharp teeth outward to cut holes into the vinyl under the seat and grab onto it. Holds pretty well. We'll see how it lasts.

I cut the subframe in that specific spot (about 1/2" beyond the bolt holes behind the shock mounts) so that I could retain the bolt hole for mounting bracketry if necessary. I also cut it that short (about 2" shorter than the seat itself) because I've also built another seat for this that's more 1920s style and less chopper style. It's very rectangular, and not nearly as thickly padded.

I'm trying to design a way to mount the lights independently of the seat so that I can swap seats quickly. As is those lights are actually built into the back of the seat.

Comment

Again!

I'll agree with you all with making your GS your own, but a GS is a classic, the original street bike. That performs very nicely, so why would you want to turn them into want to be choppers. You don't want to go to far. then it's not a GS anymore and thats what you don't want. At least thats what I've tried to do with mine, a little custom but you know it's still a GS. LOOKS LIKE A WANT TO BE SPORTSTER!

Comment

Continue with the good look isaac...

My two cents. On your engine rebuild I would paint the cases black and go with a good polish on all things connecting to it. Go with the heart of it and make it a show case. I think the best mod for me is the tail lights installed into the seat. What a unique idea? Good to see that some of us can dream still. Have fun with it is my next idea that I want to throw your way. Peace D.

Comment

I'll agree with you all with making your GS your own, but a GS is a classic, the original street bike. That performs very nicely, so why would you want to turn them into want to be choppers. You don't want to go to far. then it's not a GS anymore and thats what you don't want. At least thats what I've tried to do with mine, a little custom but you know it's still a GS.
              Originally posted by tracy borchert
              I'll agree with you all with making your GS your own, but a GS is a classic, the original street bike. That performs very nicely, so why would you want to turn them into want to be choppers. You don't want to go to far. then it's not a GS anymore and thats what you don't want. At least thats what I've tried to do with mine, a little custom but you know it's still a GS. LOOKS LIKE A WANT TO BE SPORTSTER!
              Two quotes.

Do you know what I think my bike looks like? My bike. and I think it looks pretty damn badass.

That's me being innocuous.

Comment

Issac,
                I like your answer.....It looks like MY bike.
                It's yours, you can make it what you want.
                You've obviously put lots of time and effort into it.
                It's not my style, but I like what you've done.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

isaac if you use a half fender you can use that to mount the turn signals, and also the tail light. just a personal thing but have you thought about lower bars ?...b.b.

Comment

I would go for just a little bit of a fender, just to break up the rear of the bike a tiny bit. Also would give you a nice place to mount your lights. If you black out the rims, then I would definatly add a little polish to the engine, since it will then be the eye catcher. Something I always thought was neat was those gator boots that go over the forks, I think it would look really nice on there. Also, definatly some lower bars.

Anyway, just some thoughts, I really think the bike looks good, do it the way you want.

Comment

You are definitely going to want a fender if you get caught in the rain. If you don't have a fender, th back tire is going to sling water all over you.

Comment

Lookin' good. Any chance you can lower the front any more?

Actually, maybe it's just the handlebars that are too high. But I'm only talking in relation to your original photoshop.

Comment

I also have a GS650L that I am working on..

Here's what I have done so far:

Lowered the Front Forks.
                          Added fairing.
                          Chopped some of the rear fender off.
                          New paint both engine, tank and side covers.
                          Polished cases.
                          Recently removed grab bar and replaced with wider one of the GS750T model.

Things to do..

Work on seat.
                          New mirror on the way.
                          Etc.

-Tim
                          HO MY GAWD I BE IN LUV! THIS IS WHAT AN L IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. An what the heck is wrong with beautiful deep lusterous CHROME??:shock:

Comment

Finally!!!

Hi there Isaac, I wandered across this site about a month or two ago and was looking for ideas on how to make my gs good looking...little did I know that I would find someone doing the exact same thing to theirs!! I've been trying to register on here for some time now to tell you how much help it has been to see how yours is turning out, but the site did not let anyone register till recently. Anyways, I got my gs in october and it's my starter bike. I actually got it on ebay for cheap. So then the plan was to chop it to make it look cool, and it acctually does look somewhat good now! When I get a chance I will post some pics of the progress. Boy does taking off those awful turn signals and taillight make a big difference! I also cut off the megaphones on both sides of the bike and will be putting turn downs off of the straight pipe, it sounds rather cool now! Then I chopped both the front and rear fender, the front one comes to a point in the front and the back of it I left the way it is, the rear fender I cut shorter and made it also come to a point. After doing that I realized that it still just didn't look right in the back so I'm going to weld the shocks to a different place on the bike so the bike will be lower. Putting different handlebars on it made a world of difference, especiallly comfort wise. It still needs engine work, but I'm going to have someone do that for me, and I'm also going to have a seat made for it. Right now it has the original two tone maroon paint but eventually it will have a blackish gray color to it. It is missing both side covers however, did you ever find a place that carries anything for these bikes? It seems like I can find something for all the other gs's but not the 650gl. Thanks for some of the ideas!\\/

Comment

Looking good man, you're almost there! I would say maybe do a bit of sculpting of the foam on your seat, get the lower bars suggested in your origional post, and then think about painting the wheels black.

Sweet bike, keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by gs650rider
                                I also have a GS650L that I am working on..

Here's what I have done so far:

Lowered the Front Forks.

-Tim
                                Tim,

Could you tell me how you lowered your front forks? Is it easy to do, or does it take a mecanic to doe it?

I'm wanting shorter rear shocks and I want the bike to stay levelled.

Thanks in advance,

d'Eddio

Comment

Working...
                                X