Ideas for making a GL good looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicagogsx
    I don't think most people's top concern about their bike is it's resale value, especially those who take the extra time to personalize it to their own taste.

Keeping your bike bone stock because you love it that way is one thing..

...but if you're doing so simply due to the fact that you're concerned about it's resale value, then your concerns obviously lie more heavily on you getting rid of it someday...and you really don't seem to be too attached to it in the first place.

Kinda reminds me of buying comics as a kid...there'd be the kids who would buy their favorite comic and read it everyday, drag it with them everywhere they went, you know..actually enjoyed it....then there were the kids who'd bring them home from the store, wrap them in a plastic cover, seal them up, and store them in a safe place away from direct sunlight... because someday they could resell it.
    I agree chicagogsx thanks for simplifing the facts.

Comment

Man, I need to get some pics of my bike up. I have a 650Gl, that now has a 650G front end (dual discs ) The regular model forks are about an 1.25" shorter than the "L". Bonus! I have a 2 inch rise/4" pullback suberbike bar, VTX 1800 blinkers (bullet style) Drag specialties "O-ring" grips and some NessTech mirrors (all on order). I have carved away the sharp rises in the seat, and given it a more modern, blended look. The chrome fenders will be painted body color (still up in the air), but probably not this year...ran out of money and winter All in all, It should look similar to tracy's "Nice Rice" 750. I gotta give him credit, his bike was the inspiration for mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
        Man, I need to get some pics of my bike up. I have a 650Gl, that now has a 650G front end (dual discs ) The regular model forks are about an 1.25" shorter than the "L". Bonus! I have a 2 inch rise/4" pullback suberbike bar, VTX 1800 blinkers (bullet style) Drag specialties "O-ring" grips and some NessTech mirrors (all on order). I have carved away the sharp rises in the seat, and given it a more modern, blended look. The chrome fenders will be painted body color (still up in the air), but probably not this year...ran out of money and winter All in all, It should look similar to tracy's "Nice Rice" 750. I gotta give him credit, his bike was the inspiration for mine...
        Thanks Mike H I would like to see it myself.

Comment

tracy, is that an aftermarket seat? or custom made seat?

Comment

seat

Originally posted by chicagogsx
            tracy, is that an aftermarket seat? or custom made seat?
            No chicagogsx, It's the original seat, I just had it recovered. The guy did a great job on it.

Comment

The L is a crappy looking bike... Better send it to me for dismantling. Go get yourself a pretty little standard model....

I'd send it over to OCC and see how much Paul jr could f*ck it up!
              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2006, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Where can I get a set of those lowering blocks? The shocks just look too cool at the different angle!

Comment

Originally posted by tracy borchert
                  Don't worry about your "mods" Speedy, If thats what you like then go for it, Nice paint on your tank. It will take alot to keep up on the black on the motor though. I've done some "mods" on my bike over the years, but then again I've owned mine for twenty years. I've had to because I couldn't see myself getting rid of it.\\/
                  Holy crap, that is one nice looking GS!!

Comment

my rear fender and taillight change

Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2006, 10:39 PM. Reason: eroor

Comment

Originally posted by Synthead
                      Holy crap, that is one nice looking GS!!
                      I concur with this person. I hope you don't mind I'm painting one of my GS's that color b/c I like it so much. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by fat_sac
                        I concur with this person. I hope you don't mind I'm painting one of my GS's that color b/c I like it so much. :-D
                        Thanks guys, Fat sac you wouldn't be disappointed with the turn out of that color either. The candy really makes the tangerine change with the different types of light that shines on it.:-D

Comment

Guys, you misunderstood my comments on modifications to your bikes.

Of course these bikes are your bikes and you are welcome to do with them as you please, and yes, the bike directly above this post is gorgeous and is definitely a bike that I would be proud to own and ride.

What I was talking about (if you read carefully what I wrote a few pages back) was making serious, irreversible modifications such as cutting your frame. Again, these are your bikes and I have absolutely no problem with anything you want to do to them, why would I ever care what someone else does to any of their possessions?

I was only trying to pass along a little advise.

For the guy who commented about the comic books, yes, and some guys who bought baseball cards in the 1930's and '40's had a lot of fun with them by putting them in the spokes of their bicycles while other guys treated them like cherished possessions and put them away in pristine condition and only took them out occasionally to carefully look at them.

Guess which guys were happy with their decision years later?

At the recent Daytona vintage bike auctions, I followed the Norton Commandos that were sold (I check them out because I used to have several).

The ones that are essentially stock all sold in the $6k - $7 range (except for the one that was not in great shape, it went for only $4100). The one that had been seriously modified (professionally and tastefully done) sold in the $2k range.

Just something to keep in mind...
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tracy borchert
                            Thanks guys, Fat sac you wouldn't be disappointed with the turn out of that color either. The candy really makes the tangerine change with the different types of light that shines on it.:-D
                            What colors and layers are actually there? I was just thinking about going with the standard Chevy burnt orange. I had no idea that paint was like that until you took a pic of it in the sun. WOW :shock: It's sure pretty. I'd like to know before I place my House of Kolor order, hehe. \\/

Highmileage - I'm doing some serious mods [irreversable] to one of my GS's, but this bike would never even see a scrap yard if I hadn't pulled it out of the weeds. I'm not changing my 1100GK at all. Except for paint and bars. I like that one just the way she sits. O yeah, I'm putting forward controls on it, but keeping the stock pegs in my closet for the future if needed.

Comment

to fat sac

I am letting you know, my friend and i are working on getting the brake side of the forward controls done this week, will have pictures soon.I would like to see what you are doing too.Ron
                              future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage
                                Guys, you misunderstood my comments on modifications to your bikes.

Of course these bikes are your bikes and you are welcome to do with them as you please, and yes, the bike directly above this post is gorgeous and is definitely a bike that I would be proud to own and ride.

What I was talking about (if you read carefully what I wrote a few pages back) was making serious, irreversible modifications such as cutting your frame. Again, these are your bikes and I have absolutely no problem with anything you want to do to them, why would I ever care what someone else does to any of their possessions?

I was only trying to pass along a little advise.

For the guy who commented about the comic books, yes, and some guys who bought baseball cards in the 1930's and '40's had a lot of fun with them by putting them in the spokes of their bicycles while other guys treated them like cherished possessions and put them away in pristine condition and only took them out occasionally to carefully look at them.

Guess which guys were happy with their decision years later?

At the recent Daytona vintage bike auctions, I followed the Norton Commandos that were sold (I check them out because I used to have several).

The ones that are essentially stock all sold in the $6k - $7 range (except for the one that was not in great shape, it went for only $4100). The one that had been seriously modified (professionally and tastefully done) sold in the $2k range.

Just something to keep in mind...
                                I think if your in it for the money thats kind of lame, i hate it when my brother and others tell me that i am stuoid for chopping my BSA. I really don't ever plan on selling the thing especially old suzy. Nice bike tracy did a great job that color is awsome.

Comment

Working...
                                X